Whether social media will cause depression or not
social media and depression
- Social Media Parental Control
- Reviews of Social Media
- Limit Screen Time
Part 1: introduction
There are age limits to create an account on social media but due to poor implementation techniques, the kids and teens own an account with a fake date of birth. If the kids frequently use social media, then the kids will encounter social media depression issues in future. The kid’s gadgets need continuous supervision to tackle social media depression issues optimally. Most cyber-bullying act happens on social media. This type of bullying will ultimately bring depression in kids. This article gives you awareness about depression due to social media and the respective measures to overcome it.
Part 2: Evidence that shows that there is a link between social media and depression
According to the research study from ‘Child Mind Institute’ 66% of kids and teens connecting with social media are highly prone to depression issues when compared to the children with no social media account. Do Facebook and Instagram are the causes of depression in teen ad kids?
From the University of Pennsylvania, the researchers conducted an experiment involving 143 students. The 143 children formed two different groups. The first group followed their usual social media habits. The other group tried to limit social media access. This experiment went on for three weeks. In between, the researchers supervised the children from both the groups to ensure they follow the instructions as given by them. At the end of the week, the children from both groups went to psychologists to examine their mental health.
The kids with less access to social media have good mental health when compared to the child with usual social media usage. The psychologist identified depression, anxiety with the kid accessing social media for long hours. This experiment from the University of Pennsylvania reveals the truth behind social media and depression.
Part 3: How social media causes depression
Mental destructions by social media
- A huge number of fake friends: If you surf through the social media accounts of teens and kids, you will find many friends on their friend’s list. They are illusion most probably, and due to lack of face-to-face communication, reliability on friends has become a question mark.
- ‘Likes’ Addictions: When the teen or kid post any image, video, or texts on social media, they will be looking for likes. Expecting something for long hours destructs the healthy functioning of the brain. The concept of ‘Likes’ ruins the mental health of kids in no time. In a similar way, the kids and teens press the ‘Like’ button for their friend’s post despite the content. The kids tap the ‘Like’ button without knowing what is shared to please their friends.
- ‘Likes’ Comparison: The kids will compare the number of likes for their posts on social media. This attitude will create grudges with friends.
- Increase desires: The kids will develop anxiety by longing for some wishes from the posts on social media. If a child views a post on his/her friend’s Switzerland trip pictures, it will trigger the jealousy in a child, and he/she will also look for similar opportunities despite their financial situation.
Hurts from social media
- Cyber Bullying: While making comments on the posts, the kids will face cyberbullying issues. In the comment section, there arises a possibility of controversies, which leads to offensive words.
- Negative comment: If your kid posts any image or video on social media, if he/she receives a bad comment for it, then the child faces psychological issues.
- Reject friend request: When a kid send a friend request on social media, and if the concerned person rejects his/her request, then the kid feels embarrassed. It hurts them quickly, and the kid will lose his/her self-confidence.
Part 4: What can parents do to prevent social media depression?
Tips to prevent social media and depression
Be friendly: As parents, you must be friendly with your kid. If you give them a better space, then they will not access virtual friends on social media. You must talk to your kids regularly, and share your valuable time with them. When you provide a space for them amidst your schedule, then they will feel the importance of communicating with you regularly.
Play with your kids: You must play with your kids at least once a week. You should spare sometime amidst your busy work schedule to revamp the mental health of your child. When you play with your kid, then he/she finds comfort in your relationship.He/she will share all her/his challenges, worries with you in a casual way without looking for fake friends on social media. They will start to spend time with you instead of surfing the news feeds on social media.
Encourage gadget-free hours: You can surprise your kid with many constructive toys, which triggers healthy functioning of your brain. You should help them to focus on painting, gardening, cleaning etc. On the other hand, drive your kid to practise their favourite sports. Allow your kid to play with neighbouring friends. You can plan for short trips with your kid’s friends on holidays. It is the foremost duty of a parent to encourage gadget-free hours for your kids.
Awareness: You must talk to your kids related to the threats of social media. When you communicate, you must make your kid understand the consequences of using Social media for long hours in a day. With anecdote, give them a clear picture of the hidden dangers of social media.
Using the Parental control app
You can prevent social media depression in kids by limiting their access to it. How do kids limit access to social media? You can make it happen with the help of effective parental control app like FamiSafe.
The FamiSafe is the best parental control app from Wondershare. With the help of this app, you can perform a lot of activities on your kid’s gadget remotely.
Monitor and block social media apps:
Install the FamiSafe app in your device as well as in your kid’s gadget to monitor their activities consistently. With the help of this tool, you can block social media apps like Facebook, Instagram, Kik, Twitter etc. When you block these apps, the kid has no control over it and they will not be able to access it anymore.
Set Screen Time:
The FamiSafe app allows you to set ‘Screen time’ on your kid’s gadget. If the ‘Screen time’ expires on the smartphone, then the gadget lock automatically. The kids will not be able to unlock it by any means.
Part 5: Conclusion
Therefore, it is the right time to take respective measure on your kid’s gadget activities to limit social media access. The FamiSafe app contributes a lot in preventing the kids from social media depression. Install this app and safeguard your children from the threats of social media. You must protect your kid from the impact of social media and limit their access using effective parental control app FamiSafe.