Location based on dating app: why it is dangerous
Location based on dating app
Introduction : Online Dating App
After the internet revolution in the 1990s, more & more people started posting their ads on webpages or websites rather than putting ads in newspapers & magazines. Online Location-based dating app to which people could subscribe (Usually it makes membership fees for the same) to get a suggestion on prospect partners based on specific criteria & extensive questionnaires they had filled in. It became easier when the smartphone became more popular globally & more socially accepted. As per the research made in 2015 by BBC showed that the Online Location-based dating app Tinder was the 10th most popular lifestyle app in Canada that year & the 15th most popular in the USA.
Tinder & Badoo are easily accessible app & can be used by every individual, no matter your gender, age or sexual likings but these two do not end up dating apps there is much more to explore in this industry. Some dating apps focus on a smaller section of people trying to connect people on certain common values or interests for example marginalized groups like homosexual, ethnic minorities, but also elite groups, multi-millionaires or extremely successful businessmen & women.
Why is location dating app popular?
Over the past few years, we have seen a massive obsession with location dating apps. The reason why people like to use such apps is to find someone they can talk to locally and globally. This has somehow become the trend to meet a new partner in the future, and with so many dating apps available online, it is obvious that more and more people will be trying such apps, plus most of these apps are free to use as well.
As much as dating apps are becoming popular among adults, unfortunately, even teens are getting attracted to these apps as well. With adults, it still makes sense, they already know what are pros and cons of using such apps, however, with kids’ things become a little different because they join in thinking about the bright side only and not about the underlying damages these apps can cause.
It’s pretty hard to believe that humans will start shopping for love too, just like they do for grocery shopping or online clothes shopping. After all, these platforms give you a chance to swipe left and right and choose the best that fits with your personality. Things have become easier now and hence, the popularity of location dating apps. Just one click and you will know about the person who resides close to you and who you would possibly like to go meet in person as well.
Why should parents care about it?
The reason why parents should be worried about location dating apps is that there could be potential dangers associated with such apps. Here are some of the reasons why parents should care about it:
- Predators are always on their hunting spree
- Pictures can reveal where your kid stay
- Because there are scammers
When your kid starts to talk to someone online on such platforms, they feel wanted, and the need to go back to such apps are always there. But this is what the predator wants. Also, you never know who your child might be talking to. People can obviously lie about their age and sex. You never know the kid who she is talking to thinking the other user is 16 years old, is actually a grown adult, who is 40 years old!
These dating apps allow every user to upload their photos. Plus, location dating apps do let your kids find a match within a few miles, which means, the predator already knows where your kid might be residing. And if it is a tech-savvy stranger, then it won’t be difficult for him to track down the teen’s location just by tracking the photo.
Location dating apps are famous for fake profiles. Scammers who your child might be talking to, thinking that the other person is real might have already downloaded your teen’s photo. They might also get the personal details, and God forbid, this information and pictures might land up in some shady links.
Popular location dating apps of 2019 for teens
There are endless location dating apps available in the market, and the worst part is, these dating apps don’t cost a dime. They are free to use, and you don’t need to pay anything to anyone. Here are some of the most popularly used dating apps by teens.
The first teen dating apps that allow kids as little as 13 years old to get to know new people is Yubo. This one is also referred to as Tinder for teens because just like Tinder, you need to swipe right to like someone’s profile.
- 13+ minimum age requirement
- Live video streaming
- Yubo is free to use
- Users can hide their city to limit disclosing their personal identity
Even though Spotafriend asks for a minimum age requirement of 17 years and above, people can still fake their age. Yet again, all the user needs to do is swipe right to like someone and chat with any stranger privately.
- 17+ minimum age requirement
- GPS location tracker
- Free app for downloading
- Users can find someone local to chat with
- Specially designed for teens
Developers of Skout call it “flirting” app and teens can find someone to talk to based on preferences and proximity. Kids are encouraged to upload their profile and picture to earn points. And these points can be used to find someone who is close by.
- Opportunity to meet someone local and globally
- The meet tab will allow anyone to see photos and know their age
- Free signup
- Users need to shake the device to talk to someone
Mylol is another popular dating app, which teens love to use. But the problem with this dating app is that it has no valid verification process and anybody can fake about their sex and age to join this app. Profile pictures can even become too revealing and explicit.
- Free dating app
- 17+ minimum age required, but no verification is done
- Allows user to meet people near them
- Chat option is available
Tinder for teens
Tinder has two different communities. One is for adults who are 18 and above and the second one who falls under 13-17 years of age. And yes, it is a free dating app for everyone. You just need to swipe right and wait for the match.
- To join Tinder, one must have a Facebook account
- Free to join
- Two different communities for adults and teens
- Location sharing for the right match
What can parents do protect their teen’s safety?
Yes, these dating sites do raise a concern, but here are a few things that you can do to protect their safety.
Start looking for popular location dating apps
The first thing that you should know about is the popular teen location dating apps. You must stay alert that since most of the teens are already using such apps, your kid might also be spending time using such apps as well.
After you find out about the top teen dating apps, its time not to panic and punish your kid. This is the age when their brains are highly active, and they are extremely curious. Sit down with your kid and warn them about the pros and cons. Tell them about the dark web.
Once you have had a chat with your kid, let them walk you through their mobile phone. Don’t be angry. Just understand that everyone does this. Gain their trust. Even if some teens might not like your intervention, but it’s for their safety.
How can Famisafe help?
When things go way out of your hands, and your child refuses to hand over their mobile phone to see what they are doing with it and whether they are using any dating apps or not, it is time to take action. You can consider taking a look at Famisafe, which is the best parental control app in the market.
Real-time location and Geofencing
You can use this feature to track where your kid might be at, at real-time. You can also know where your kid goes regularly and get alerts by activating geo fencing when the kid leaves geo-fence.
App blocker and activity monitor
Dating apps are hazardous. Use this feature to know what type of location dating apps are saved on your kid’s mobile phone and also block them when you find one or two and keep them safe from the dark web.
Screen time tracking and control
You kid might be using his or phone to chat with someone on those location dating apps. Don’t let them stay awake at night talking to random strangers. Just schedule screen time and ensure that they are not busy with their phones when they should be studying and sleeping.
Dating apps are anyway never safe for teens. Teens at this age are always interested in making new friends, but one wrong move and their life can be in danger. Never take a chance when it comes to your child’s safety. Keep them safe with Famisafe and block those location dating apps today.
- Parental Controls
- 1.1 Baby Monitor
- 1.2 Monitor Child's iPhone
- 1.3 Check Private Browsing History on Android
- 1.4 Check Your Child's Online Web Browser History
- 1.5 Free Parental Control Apps for Android
- 1.6 Best Parental Control Apps
- 1.7 Set Parental Control on YouTube
- 1.8 Best iOS Parental Control Apps
- 1.9 iPhone Spyware Detection and Removal
- 1.10 Parental Control Apps for Cell Phone Monitoring
- 1.11 Parental Control Routers
- 1.12 Snapchat Parental Control
- Mobile Tracker
- 2.1 Android GPS Tracking Apps
- 2.2 Child GPS Tracking Devices
- 2.3 Find Someone's Location on Facebook
- 2.4 See someone’s Location on iPhone
- 2.5 How to Track a Phone Number
- 2.6 Cell Phone Tracker by Number
- 2.7 Best GPS Phone Tracker
- 2.8 Find Real Time Location of a Mobile Phone
- 2.9 Find Your Lost Android Phone
- 2.10 Share Location Between iPhone and Android
- 2.11 Track a Cell Phone Location for Free
- 2.12 Track A Person's Location
- 2.13 How to Track Your Kid's iPhone
- 2.14 If Your Phone is Being Monitored?
- 2.15 How Do I Stop Someone Tracking My iPhone?
- 2.16 Which Websites Are Visited?
- Block Apps & Sites
- 3.1 Best Ad Blocker Apps
- 3.2 Porn Blocker App to Block Porn
- 3.3 Block Porn on Android
- 3.4 Block a Phone Number on iPhone
- 3.5 Block Porn on iPhone
- 3.6 How to Block Porn Sites
- 3.7 Block Websites on Android Phone
- 3.8 Block Text Messages on Android and iPhone
- 3.9 Block Websites on Android Chrome
- 3.10 Porn Blocking Apps for Parents
- 3.11 Free website blocker apps and chrome extension