Is PopJam safe for kids? That is a question that many parents are asking these days. This app, designed for children ages 7-12, has been getting a lot of attention lately. PopJam, dubbed by some as "Instagram for kids," allows kids to share photos, videos, and messages. The app also allows children to have followers who can see and comment on their posts as well as follow and comment on other users' content. While many parents see this as a fun and safe way for their kids to interact with friends online, some are concerned about the potential dangers that this app may pose to their children.
Let's take a closer look at PopJam and discuss the pros and cons of using it with your children.
What is PopJam?
Developed by SuperAwesome, PopJam is a creative/social media app that is available for free on iOS and Android devices. PopJam is designed for kids aged 7 to 12 and is full of content created by other kids. The app contains various user-generated images, videos, GIFs, and text posts. The program allows kids (even those under the age of 13) to post content and interact with other users. Kids can create and post drawings, use stickers, animations, and photos, take tests, play games, and more. Kids may have followers who browse and comment on their posts and may also follow and comment on other users' posted content.
Although no social media network is free of mistakes, PopJam employs moderators and a monitoring software system to control postings between 6 am and 11 pm, as well as a long list of safety recommendations for newbies to social media. There is also SuperAwesome Parents website, where parents can monitor their kids' activities. In addition, kids may participate in communities that embrace their passions and can "follow" what they enjoy, from gamers and influencers to the newest popular toys.
Kids love PopJam not only for the fun face filters (that hide their faces from being recognized) but also for the tons of exciting stickers, GIFs, videos, and quizzes. In addition, PopJam also allows them to showcase their hobbies and interests to other kids. PopJam, like any other social media site, enables kids to create and share their content, allowing them to interact with children with similar interests, receiving "likes" and comments from kids worldwide.
What is the App's Theme?
PopJam has everything kids could possibly want or need. You can connect with creators, participate in events to play your favorite games, and join communities with others who share your interests. On PopJam, you may take quizzes, play games, create fantastic stuff, and build your profile. PopJam is a safe and enjoyable experience. However, don't forget that PopJam is for children between the ages of 7 and 12, so if you're under the age of 13, you'll need permission from your parent or guardian to use PopJam.
PopJam is all about community and connection, making it perfect for gamers. PopJam is jam-packed with interesting community activities and discussions in a safe environment. On PopJam, kids can watch great gaming videos and participate in events with their favorite creators.
Is PopJam Safe for Kids?
PopJam was explicitly designed for children; it is relatively safe compared to other social media apps like Facebook or Instagram. SuperAwesome, PopJam's developer, says the community's content is monitored 24/7 by a team of professional, dedicated moderators, and undesirable words are automatically filtered out. Kids can only use the app from 6 am to 11 pm and post or upload personal information. They can upload selfies, but they must disguise their faces with stickers or drawings. This prevents them from being recognized.
There are no private conversations on this app. PopJammers is designed to encourage parents to sit with their kids while using it. Furthermore, there isn't any live streaming, and PopJammers aren't allowed to reveal personal information or selfies. Users abusing the app may be reported to moderators by PopJammers. Those who make distasteful comments or engage in cyberbullying or trolling will be blocked. Blocked users won't be able to find or comment on any posts or receive mentions.
All these make PopJam a safe place for kids to explore their creativity, interact with friends, and have fun. So is PopJam safe for kids? Overall, we would say yes.
Pros and Cons of PopJam
Unlike most social media apps, where kids interact with strangers, PopJam is a kid-safe app where they only interact with people they know in real life. The content is also highly moderated, so you don't have to worry about inappropriate content. But, all is not perfect. There is always the potential for cyberbullying and kids not using the app as intended. Here are both pros and cons of using PopJam.
- PopJam only allows age-appropriate content - This is a big plus for parents. In addition, all content is moderated by humans, not algorithms, so you can be sure that your kids only see age-appropriate content.
- Kids can only post between 6 am, and 11 pm - This great feature gives parents peace of mind knowing that their kids are not using the app during school hours or late at night.
- There is no private messaging - All messages on PopJam are public, which is good for preventing cyberbullying. However, it also means that kids can't have any private conversations.
- Selfies are not allowed - This is a great safety feature that prevents kids from sharing personal information. However, it also means that kids can't share photos of themselves.
- Negative content and comments are filtered - This is a great feature that prevents kids from seeing harmful content. However, it also means that some comments may be filtered out, even if they are not hostile.
- PopJam encourages creativity - This is a nice feature that allows kids to be creative and express themselves. They can illustrate their artwork, add stickers and colors, and make it more elaborate. Children may also use this program to create animations and gifs. This software allows children to view films and take quizzes as well. However, it also means that some kids may spend more time on the app than they should.
- Users can report people who have made offensive comments - The app has a report button where users can block people making or posting offensive content or making them feel uncomfortable. Once a user is blocked, they cannot look for you or leave comments.
- Age verification issues - The app is designed for kids ages 7 to 12, but anyone of any age can sign up for an account, which is one of the concerns that parents have about PopJam. Moreover, the app does not require users to input their birthdate when signing up for an account, which means there is no way to verify users' ages.
- User-generated content moderation - Another concern parents have is that PopJam is full of user-generated content. This means that anyone can post anything on the app. While PopJam does have moderators who review and approve content before it is posted, there is always the possibility that inappropriate content could slip through the cracks.
- Kids can get obsessed with followers - This is one of the biggest concerns parents have about PopJam. One of the features of PopJam is that users can have followers. It is similar to other social media apps, but it can be a problem if kids become obsessed with getting followers. They may start posting more often or trying to get attention by posting controversial content. This can lead to cyberbullying or other psychosocial development in children.
How to Make PopJam Safe for Kids?
While there are some safety concerns that parents should be aware of, some features make PopJam a safe place for kids to interact with their friends online. Here are some tips for parents to make sure that their kids are using PopJam safely:
- Monitor your child's activity on PopJam. This includes their posts, comments, and followers. Encourage your child only to follow people that they know in real life.
- Teach your child not to post personal information on PopJam. This includes their full name, address, phone number, and school name.
- Talk to your child about cyberbullying and what to do if they see it happening on PopJam. Also, report any inappropriate content or comments that you see on PopJam.
- Educate yourself about PopJam by learning more about the app and your child's interests. Ask them to show you around PopJam so you can see how it works and spot anything that concerns you.
If you're hesitant about PopJam's more social-media-style features but want your child to use PopJam while still limiting their screen time, one approach to do it is by moderation. For example, you can use a parental control app like FamiSafe to set daily limits on your child's PopJam usage. That way, you can ensure that they're only using the app for a certain amount of time each day and not spending too much time on it.
You can also use FamiSafe to monitor your child's PopJam activity remotely. With this app, you'll be able to see everything that your child is posting, commenting on, and liking on PopJam. You can also set up alerts so that you'll be notified if your child posts something containing certain keywords or phrases. This is a great way to stay on top of their PopJam activity and ensure they're not doing anything they shouldn't do.
All in all, PopJam is a safe app for kids to use—as long as parents take the necessary precautions. By monitoring their activity and making them aware of the app's pros and cons, you can help ensure that your child is using PopJam safely.
PopJam is a safe app for kids, but parents should monitor their child's activity on the app. Some features of PopJam make it a safe place for kids to interact with their friends online, such as the content being highly moderated and the ability to report any inappropriate content. The app also restricts children from posting pictures of themselves on it, and they must use it between 6 am and 11 pm. The company behind the app also promises that it will never sell or distribute any personal information. This makes PopJam a much safer alternative than all the other social media platforms available for kids.