Best Website Blockers for Studying
- Web Content Blocking
- Block Porn Websites
- Best Porn Blocking Apps 2018
- Block Porn on iPhone
- Block Porn Sites
- Porn Blocking Software for Parents
- Block Porn on Android
- Block Porn on Kid's Cell Phone
- Block Porn on Your Kid's Phone
- New Porn Blocking App for Parents 2018
- Block All Porn Sites on Your Phone
- Porn Sites not Blocked by Opendns - Parents Should Know
- Block Porn on Computer
- Block an App from Accessing the Internet
- Block Adult Content on Android
- Block Adult Content on Youtube
- 3 Methods to Block Adult Websites
- Block Adult Sites on Kid's Cell Phone Phone
- Block Websites on Chrome
- Best Parental Control to Block Social Media and Distracting Websites
- Keep Your Family Safe Online
- Block Certain Websites on iPhone
- Block Websites on Mac
- Block a Website on Safari
- Block All Game Sites on Your Kid's Cell Phone
- Block Websites on Firefox
- Block Certain Websites on Kid's Cell Phone
- How Do You Block a Website on Kid's iPhone
- Block a Website on Internet Explorer
- FamiSafe WebFilter - Block All Porn/Sex Sites
- The Best Website Blocker and Internet Restriction Apps
- How Can Parents Block Specific Websites from Children
- Best Internet Filters and Website Blocking Software 2018
- Permanently Block A Website
- Best Website Blockers For Studying
- Block Websites on Windows 7
- Block Websites on Computer
- Block Inappropriate Websites on My Kid's Phone
- Block Websites on iPad
- Temporarily Block Distracting Websites
- Block Websites for a Period of Time
- Block Someone on Whatsapp
- Child Monitoring
- Internet Filter
- Something You Must Know about Content Filtering
- Barracuda Web Filter Review
- DNS Content Filtering for Kids
- Use URL Filtering to Protect Website
- Best Web Filter Solutions
- Fortiguard Web Filtering Review
- How to Filter A website on Chrome
- Top 5 Content Blockers for iPhone
- All Need to Know about Parental Control Internet
- How to Block Internet Access
- Top 5 iOS Content Blockers
- Content Blockers for Samsung & iPhone
- How to Block Websites on Internet Explorer
- How to Block A Program from Accessing Internet
- Methods for Free Internet Protection
- How to Do Free Web Protection
- 5 Best Website Blocker Softwares
- How to Set Parental Bolck on Kids' Phone
Do your children have an important exam coming up? You know they have to study but the Internet keeps drawing their attention. Whether it’s an email, a Facebook post, or a Twitter update, there is always a reason to be distracted. This isn’t great news because it disrupts studying which in turn disrupts grades. Fortunately, we have the perfect solution for blocking websites when studying.
But you might be asking, what are website blockers? How will they help me? Keep reading as we will provide an in-depth explanation of website blockers and why they are your best investment.
What are the websites blockers?
Websites blockers are software programs developed to block access to a particular website. When blockers are working, you cannot access the website behind the distraction. Blockers work because the filtering company that created the blocker categorizes each website. The online blocker will either block or allow a website to load onto your website browser depending on the category. For example, the filtering blocker will place a list of websites under the ‘sexually explicit’ category. Hence, the filter will let any website load onto the browser provided it does not fall into the category. Filtering website blockers are very protective about how they categorize websites. The companies are always looking for new ways to categorize websites which helps in making a website blocker becomes more refined.
Why use websites blockers?
Studies indicate that students who are perpetually distracted by online activities have lower grades. The Kaiser Family Foundation studied academic performance and attention spans on 8-18-year-old students. The results of the study showed that children retained less information from homework sessions when perpetually distracted. Retaining less information had a regressive effect on their test scores because homework doubled as study sessions. When kids did homework, they would absorb small chunks of information, which is the ideal way to study for tests. However, distractions from online activities prevented the brain from fully absorbing knowledge. Hence, students got lower grads when distracted by online activities.
Children need website blockers for studying because the brain cannot perform several complex tasks at once. A psychology professor at the University of Michigan explained that the human brain can only perform one task at a time. Browsing Facebook, posting on Snapchat, and watching videos on YouTube are all demanding tasks for brain activity. Therefore, the brain cannot do both at the same time.
This finding is further backed by Dr. Rosen from California State University. The professor’s study revealed that students who studied while browsing online were in ‘Continuous Partial Attention’. In this state, attention is constantly moving back and forth between studying and Internet browsing. Thus, website blockers are the best way to help children perform better at school by ensuring they stay focused on their studies and not get distracted.
Best Websites Blockers of 2018
Do you now recognize the importance of website blockers? Are you interested in finding one for your computer and mobile device? Well, we have searched far and wide to find the best website blocking apps of 2018. Here is our list below:
1 - FamiSafe Website Blocker
FamiSafe is at the top of the list and with good reason. It is a parental control app that blocks apps, filters websites, and tracks geo-location. Parents can perform all the mentioned functions from their own mobile device after they install it on their children’s device.
- FamiSafe lets you block websites based on domain name or broad category.
- Check web browsing history and block the inappropriate ones.
- Look at log times, to see how long your children spend on a website.
Supported OS: Android and iOS.
2 – FocusMe
FocusMe is one of the best website blocker available for Android. The app will help you master your addictions, work more efficiently, and protect your children. FocusMe is highly credited by the New York Times, Forbes and TechRepublic mentioning the app in their publications. It blocks websites and helps you save time. Thousands of customers revealed they have saved as many as 5 hours per day in work and productivity.
- Divide websites to be accessed/blocked into black/white lists.
- Block websites instantly upon installation – No restarting browser.
- Track how much time you spend on social media.
Supported OS: Android
3 – NPAV Web Control
A simple, elegant and a powerful website blocker, NPAV Web Control gives you more power over your Internet addictions. Designed for Android systems, the app lets you block websites and monitor bandwidth usage among other functionalities. If you are concerned about your children spending time on social media, consider installing NPAC Web Control.
- Block several websites based on category.
- Filter content through keyword search.
- Powerful website blocking features.
Supported OS: Android
4 - Zero Willpower
Zero Willpower is a simple, accessible app available on the iTunes app store. Once you download the app you simply install it and add websites you want to block. After adding all the websites you can set a timer and the app will block all the websites on the list. It is a simple app that is easy to use however it is limited. This is because Zero Willpower does not block apps or work on different browsers.
- A simple, and accessible UI.
- Provides a step-by-step guide.
Supported OS: iOS
5 – Freedom
Freedom is officially a website blocker but its rich scope makes it so much more than that. It is a tremendous asset for you and the entire family to boost productivity and studying. Freedom comes with several features that you do not find in a single app.
- Freedom syncs with mobile devices and computers of different operating systems.
- Schedule block sessions in advance.
- Unlimited block lists
- Block the whole internet
- Locked mode – To end blocked sessions ahead of schedule.
It should be noted that Freedom comes with a monthly billing plan. However, when you consider the number of features available along with additional updates, the price is worth it.
Supported OS: iOS
6 – 1Blocker Legacy
1Blocker made the 2015 list of ‘Must Have Apps’ in 2015 and with good reasons. This app is not only used for blocking websites but also for protecting your phone and information. The app works differently from a VPN server because the developers do not track you. 1Blocker is popular and trustworthy with over a million iOS users and counting. If you need an app to improve your workflow and protect your information, download 1Blocker Legacy.
- Block ads and web pages.
- Protect your information.
- Block annoying ads.
Supported OS: iOS
7 – Block Distracting Websites
Block Distracting Websites is perfect for students who spend too much time on social media and Reddit, instead of research. The website blocker is inspired by the popular app SelfControl, designed to aid you with procrastination. Block Distracting Websites is a popular app and was featured in the online publication ‘Lifehacker’.
- Clean, accessible interface
- Quick and easy setup
- Makes you think twice before unblocking website.
Supported OS: iOS
Do you think the Internet is taking over your life? Download the Offtime app and get control of your life again. This incredible app does more than just block websites. It helps you manage your life better, be more focused on your work, and your personal life. This incredible app lets you manage and restrict all features of your phone for a specific period of time.
- Block calls, texts, and notifications.
- Restrict internet and app usage.
- Build multiple profiles and customize settings on each one.
- Get analytics data on phone usage.
Supported OS: iOS/Android
9 - 1Focus
If you want to make sure that your children are not being distracted by intrusive emails or notifications from game apps, use 1Focus. The app is highly recommended because it blocks both websites and apps. Hence, you will have an easy time eliminating all distractions.
- Block apps and websites.
- Customize block settings
- Schedule tasks for the future
Supported OS: iOS
10 – FocusBooster
FocuseBooster is slightly different compared to the other blockers on the list. It not just blocks sites but plans productivity as well. FocusBooster focuses on the Pomodoro Technique where you work for 25 minutes and have a 5-minute break.
- Track how time is spent, when you were most productive etc.
- Can pause timer
- Produce automatic timesheets
- Choose your own custom payment plan.
Supported OS: Android/iOS
FAQ’S About FamiSafe
- Does FamiSafe block any website?
You can block any website you want with FamiSafe. Not only pornography and gambling websites but any of the websites that you wish to block.
- Do I need to have my child device when I block websites from children?
No, you can perform all the functions from your own mobile device. You can block websites, apps and set geo-fences on your child’s mobile device without physically touching it.
- What devices does FamiSafe support?
FamiSafe works with all Android and iOS devices whether that is Samsung, iPhone, Mac or PCs. You do not need to perform additional work like jailbreaking or rooting to get the app working.
It is challenging for children to stay focused on their studies when their mobile devices are nearby. Social media, email and gaming apps bring news constantly making it impossible to focus. Hence, parents need to install a website blocker for studying. If they fail, children will not focus on homework which leads to poor academic results. The best app to use is FamiSafe because you can block websites and apps, along with a variety of features. If you are interested in FamiSafe visit the iTunes App Store/Google Play for a free download.