Reddit is a social bookmarking service that allows users to share their favorite links. You to contribute links (or text with links) to various online pages and resources, such as photographs, videos, blog entries, or just ideas and thoughts.
It has over 170 million unique monthly visitors. This decently open space is suitable for both business and education. If it becomes necessary to prohibit or filter Reddit material, the methods described in this article can help.
Part 1: How to filter content inappropriate for kids or work
Use the built-in safe search options
Only then are you able to use the safe search option?
If you're looking for NSFW results but don't see the Safe Search option, By default, viewing NSFW content on Reddit is disabled. If 18+ subreddits are not showing up on Reddit, to ensure that the setting are intact;
- Go to User Settings
- Navigate to Feed Settings
- Turn off Adult content
- Turn on Safe browsing mode
After completing this, you'll notice that the 'Blur NSFW Images' button is also activated. Tap the switch and turn it off if you want to see NSFW photos.
Use a built-in filter
- To begin with, the bad news: there is no fundamental Reddit feature that allows you to hide or filter a subreddit from the r/All page.
The good news is that there are a few add-ons that will allow you to filter a subreddit from your r/All page.
Enhancement Suite for Reddit (RES)
There is a feature in the Reddit Enhancement Suite (r/Enhancement) that allows you to filter off submissions from one or more subreddits on your r/All page.
Open your RES Settings Console via the cog/gear icon in your user toolbar. The cog/gear icon in your user toolbar will open the RES Settings Console.
- From the left-hand menu, select "Subreddits."
- In the submenu, choose "edit filter."
- "Turn on" this option.
- Scroll down to the section labeled "subreddits."
- "+add filter" is selected by clicking on it.
- Enter the name of the subreddit you wish to hide/filter (both "/r/SubredditName" and "SubredditName" will work).
- Rep this process for as many subreddits as you want to conceal or filter.
- At the top right of the settings box, click on "Save Options."
- Done! In your r/All view, that nagging subreddit will no longer appear.
Part 2: How to Block Reddit on PC
How to Block with Chrome Browser
A Chrome extension is required to block a website. BlockSite is what we recommend for Reddit.
Step 1 Install the BlockSite Chrome Extension first
Block Site is a Chrome extension found on the Chrome Web Store. To begin, download and install the extension on your Chrome browser. After seeing the Block Site Chrome extension in the Chrome Web Store, click the Add to Chrome button, followed by the Add extension button. In the pop-up window to install it.
Step 2 Go to the "Sites to Block" page
After installing the Block Site extension, it'll automatically take you to the Block Sites page. Alternatively, you can open Chrome and click the Block Site extension icon in the top-right corner, which looks like a shield.
Step 3 In Google Chrome, add and block websites
Then, in the address field, type the website's address and click the "+" button next to it to add it to the list of blacklisted websites.
How to Blacklist Reddit Sites with the parental control app
You can use the parental control options available on your PC.
- Click Start, then go to Settings.
- Select Accounts.
- Select Family & Other Users from the left pane of the Accounts window.
- If your child does not have an account on your computer, click Add a Family Member.
- Set up a child account with an email.
- To turn on web browsing limits, click Content Restrictions.
- Scroll down to Web browsing.
- Switch on/off the block inappropriate website settings. If there are specific sites you want permanently blocked, add their URLs in the Always blocked section.
Part 3: How to Block Reddit on Mobile
How to do it on Android
There are a few options for blocking Reddit on your Android device.
Using a Mobile Security App
There are a few options for blocking Reddit on your Android device. To use the Mobile Security app to restrict a website, go to the App Store and search for Mobile Security. On the main screen, scroll down and tap Parental Controls.
- Enter your Trend Micro account password here.
- Select "Website Filter" from the drop-down menu.
- Toggle on the Website filter by tapping the toggle switch next to it.
- Allow Now and follow the on-screen steps to allow Mobile Security permission.
- For the parental controls, select an age range - this is a purely arbitrary option; you can change the settings afterward.
- Select "Blocked List" from the drop-down menu.
- Add a new item to your cart.
- Tap Save to add the unwanted website to the Blocked List after giving it a descriptive name and URL.
Using a firewall
To block a website using NoRoot Firewall,
- Open NoRoot Firewall and pick the Global Filters option by swiping left on the grey bar at the top.
- Select "New Pre-Filter" from the drop-down menu.
- In front of the domain name, type the full URL of the site you want to block, including HTTP or HTTPS.
- In the Port line, hit the down arrow, then tap the asterisk (*).
- Select OK.
- Swipe right on the grey bar at the top to get to the Home tab.
- Start by pressing the Start button.
Using a Parental Control App - Kaspersky Parental Control
To flexibly block access to inappropriate websites, you can follow the steps below to block certain websites on Android.
Step 1 Open the app after it has been installed on your Android phone to set it up
Choose the categories of websites you want to block. It will then allow you to place restrictions on your children's apps. In the list, you can add or remove apps enabled by default.
Step 2 As the device administrator, create a password to activate the app
After that, complete the procedure by registering with your email address. If you forget your administrative PIN, you can use this email to contact customer care.
Step 3 Confirm that the default browser for browsing the website is set
You can also use your browser's blocking feature. To accomplish this, browsers like Chrome require add-ons. Using anti-virus and editing your host files are other possible methods.
How to do it on IOS
Using Apple's built-in features
- Launch Settings from your home screen.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Tap into content and privacy restrictions.
- Enter a four-digit passcode and then confirm it.
- Tap the switch next to Content & Privacy.
- Tap on all the allowed apps.
- Tap the button (es) next to the app or apps you would like to disable, Reddit.
How to Block Apps with Famisafe Parental Control App
Wondershare Famishare is a family safety tool that allows parents to watch, control, and protect their children's online activities. It works with iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS X, and Chrome. When a screening schedule is set, it is strictly followed. Users can subscribe to Wondershare's premium services for a low monthly fee.
How to Set Up Wondershare Famisafe
Setting up Wondershare Famisafe takes four easy steps.
- Search for Famisafe on either Google Play or App Store and download.
- The sign-up screen appears once you launch FamiSafe on your devices. You can create a FamiSafe account with your email address or keep utilizing third-party accounts. It's worth noting that FamiSafe accepts third-party logins via Google, Facebook, and Apple ID (for Apple devices only).
- After registering an account or logging in using third-party accounts, click START to add your kid's devices and view your kid's phone usage details.
- Using a pairing code on the screen, you can link your kid's devices.
How to Block the Reddit App with Famisafe
To block applications after pairing the device.
- Toggle to features
- Select app usage and blocker
- Scroll to the Reddit app, then toggle the on switch to off.
How to Block Reddit Websites with Famisafe
- Toggle to features
- Select browser history
- Scroll through the sites visited and select one to block.
However, Reddit is open if staying on the site or app is necessary. It would be good forethought to safeguard your app feed. For several reasons, Reddit's content is for several niches and users.