Limit Child Screen Time on Apple Products
screen time apple
- Screen Time
- Blocker Apps
- Mobile Tracker
I think you’ll agree with me when I say that no parent wants their children to spend the majority of their time glued to a screen. But unfortunately, this is not the case; according to statistics, teens spend an average of nine hours a day on the internet! As you will read, studies have also reported that there are terrible health benefits associated with teens spending too much time online. Therefore, parents need to take control and prevent their children from becoming addicted to their devices. The good news is that there are things that you can do to reduce the amount of time your children spend using screens. If you don’t want your child to become another statistic, you are going to have to enforce some apple restrictions and rules in your household. In this article, you are going to learn how to effectively limit screen time on Apple products.
Why Parents Should Limit Screen Time on Apple Products
Teenagers who spend long hours scrolling through the internet are not only at risk of becoming socially delinquent, it gets worse, it can also have a negative effect on their physical and mental health.
Health Issues: Research has found that teenagers who spend up to 14 hours a week online increase their risk of high blood pressure. Heavy internet use and too much apple screen time is also linked to obesity, depression, anxiety, addiction and attention deficit disorders.
Social Instability: Teenagers who spend the majority of their time behind a screen find it difficult to have normal face to face interactions. They make friends online, and become so used to communicating virtually that real life contact becomes abnormal and uncomfortable.
Bad Grades: Although the internet can make a great educational companion, it can also have the opposite effect. Now, you know full well that the majority of teens don’t spend their time online doing homework, they are playing games and communicating with friends via social media. It can cause them to lose focus on what’s most important, which should be getting good grades at school.
How to Teach Your Children Better Online Habits
Installing an app on your child’s device to monitor their internet usage, and apple screen time is a very effective way to limit the amount of time they are spending online, and enforce apple restrictions. But wouldn’t you agree that instead of leaving parental control to an app, you should become proactive and get involved in the process? Here are some tips to assist you:
Set an Example: Children are products of their environment, and if you spend hours on end scrolling through your phone, guess what? Your kids are going to do the same. Get some self-discipline, put your phone away, and show your children that the world isn’t going to come to an end if they don’t check their Facebook accounts every five minutes.
Enforce Consequences: Children of this generation get away with too much, parents often give in because they don’t want to deal with any additional stress. But by giving in to your children’s demands to stay glued to a computer screen all day, you are putting them at risk. If you set a time limit for the amount of time they are allowed to stay online, and they break it, punish them accordingly so they know that you mean business.
Spend More Time With Your Children: Teenagers are often drawn to the internet out of boredom, if they don’t have anything else to do, it only makes sense that they will resort to going online for entertainment. You can prevent this by spending more time with your children by arranging family days out, playing board games, watching movies and much more.
Don’t Allow Devices in Certain Rooms: Dinner time should be where the family get together and talk about what’s going on in their lives. No one should be sitting at the table with their head buried in a phone. Unfortunately, this is an all too familiar scene at dining tables worldwide. Ban devices from the dining room, you can also limit the amount of time your kids spend on the internet by not allowing them to spend alone time in their room with their devices. At bedtime, take their phones and return them in the morning.
Limiting Screen Time on Apple Products
Apple products are parent control friendly, they provide parents with the ability to actively monitor their children’s internet usage, and enforce apple restrictions by clicking on a few buttons. All passwords are set by you so there is no need to worry that your kids will be able to undo the settings you have applied. Here is how you can limit apple screen time on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac computer.
Limit Child Screen Time on iPhone
- Select “Screen Time” from the settings menu.
- You will see how much time your child has spent on the phone that day.
- Select the time total to check how much time has been spent on apps. You can choose between one to seven days. You can also check how much time is spent on certain websites.
- You will see some graphs showing you how many times your child has picked up their phone.
- Screen time will provide you with a weekly notification, providing a summary of your child’s usage for the week.
Limit Child Screen Time on iPad
- Go to settings and select the “General” tab.
- Select the “Accessibility” tab.
- Under learning select the “Guided Access” tab.
- Click on enable and select “Passcode Settings.” You will be prompted to create a passcode. Or you can select “Touch ID” instead of creating a passcode.
- Select “Time Limits.”
- Select “Sound and Speak” for audible alerts.
- To set limits on certain apps, open the app and click on the home key three times.
- Select the “Options” key at the bottom left hand corner of the screen and select “Time Limit.”
- Once you have selected the time limit, choose “Done” and then “Start” to apply the time limit.
- When the time limit expires, the iPad will lock itself until you enter your passcode or touch in.
Limit Child Screen Time on Mac
- Select “System Preferences” from the Apple menu.
- Select “Parental Controls.”
- Select “Unlock” and then choose a name and password or use Touch ID.
- Choose which child you want to set limitations for.
- Select “Time” and set your desired time limits for computer usage.
Limit Child Screen Time With FamiSafe
- Select the “Time” option from the main menu.
- Select “Set Screen Time Limit,” or you can lock the device by selecting “Lock Device.”
- Select how long you want to limit access.
- You will then get a countdown timer showing you the amount of time left and the apps that have been blocked.
There is also another option for setting apple screen time limits for those who are not keen on using a third-party control application. However, this option is only available for the iOS 12 operating system.
- Go to settings and select “Screen Time.”
- Click on “Downtime,” this will allow you to activate or deactivate the setting and choose your desired time limits.
If kids had it their way, they would spend the entire day staring at a screen! Since you know that this is not healthy, it’s your responsibility as a parent to ensure that your kids learn how to use their devices responsibly. You may have a few teething problems to begin with when you start applying limitations, but it’s worth it in the end. The FamiSafe app offers a three-day free trial to its customers so that you can decide whether it’s right for you. Click here to start your free trial today!