How Do I Stop Someone Tracking My iPhone?
stop someone from tracking my phone
We live in a world not unlike to George Orwell’s 1984. Everywhere we go, we know that we are being watched by CCTV cameras, by ‘Big Brother’ as it were. It’s mad to think that we’re potentially in the backgrounds of hundreds of thousands of people’s selfies from around the world without even realizing it.
However, today we want to bring things closer to home. Thanks to the advancements in modern day technology, it’s never been easier to track and monitor the smartphone or tablet device of another individual. In fact, it’s as simple as signing up on a website and putting in a few details. You don’t even need physical access to the device.
Perhaps you’ve got a crazy ex, an overzealous partner, or even a parent who’s just always on your case. If they seem to know a little bit too much about your life, your phone could be tapped. Below, we’re going to explore everything you need to know about phone tracking and how to stop yours from being monitored.
How Can I Tell That My Phone is Being Tracked?
While most tracking software is designed to be as subtle as possible, so you won’t know that it’s installed or who is tracking your phone, there are still a few things you can do to check your device to see whether the software has been installed.
Your Battery - Since tracking software constantly runs on your device, you may notice that your battery is draining much faster than has done in the past. In some cases when running multiple applications, your device may start to heat up rapidly compared to how it used to.
Your Data Package - Tracking software will relay the information from your device to an external server where it can be seen by the person who’s tracking you. This requires internet data. If you’ve seen a spike in your internet data, your iPhone could be being tracked.
Weird Phone Displays - Sometimes, the tracking application will make a request to your device, and this can cause strange notifications or info-boxes to appear on your device. While they may only last a second or so, this can be a tell-tale sign that you’re being tracked.
Real World Evidence - If your device is being tracked, the chances are that it’s somebody that you know. If you’re being asked questions by loved ones, or they are insinuating that they know something that they shouldn’t or couldn’t possibly know, you may tell if someone is tracking your iPhone.
How to Check for Spy Software on Your iPhone
In most cases, you will need to jailbreak your iPhone in order to track it. This is the main pre-request for many tracking applications. If you’ve noticed the Cydia app has appeared on your device, but you haven’t jailbroken your iPhone, this sign could tell if someone is tracking your iPhone.
What’s more, you could try going through the files that are saved on your device. You can do this easily by downloading your preferred file managing application and then browsing to see if anything suspicious shows up.
However, apart from this, there are no clear ways in which to check for spy software since many applications are designed to being invisible and will install themselves in many different ways.
A Note About Jailbroken iPhones
Jailbreaking your iPhone device is a process in which you unlock the full capabilities of your iPhone by removing the restrictions that Apple imposes as standard. This also means you’ll be able to install apps that haven’t been approved by in the Apple App Store.
While this does mean you’ll be able to download all kinds of application for many different functions, it does mean your phone is open to a realm of security risks. This is because any application could come with a built-in Keylogger or location tracking feature which you’ll be unprotected from if you install it onto your jailbroken device.
Can Someone Track Your iPhone With Having Access to it?
Who is tracking your phone? Can someone track it from anywhere in the world? In short, yes.
Typically, most spy applications will be installed by having access to your device. This means you may have left it somewhere, and the tracker has picked it up and installed it and then put it back where you left it.
In most cases, the installation process of an application takes no longer than 10 minutes, meaning you’ll probably never know that it’s gone missing. However, it is possible to track someone’s phone without even having access to it.
For example, mSpy, one of the most popular spy tracking mobile applications in the world, can simply track your location, your messages, contacts, emails, social networking messages and view all the content on your device, simply based on your iCloud account information.
By simply entering your iCloud email and password into mSpy, you can start receiving data on a device without having access to it whatsoever. Of course, this means people close to you, such as your partners, housemates or parents could easily have access to this information.
How to Remove Spy Applications from Tracking my iPhone & Tips for Protecting Your Device
Can’t tell if someone is tracking your iPhone? No worries, you still have the ability to stop someone tracking your iPhone, and possibly even see who is tracking your phone.
Factory Reset Your Device
One of the easiest ways to clear your device is to restart it to its factory settings. Of course, this will then wipe everything from your iPhone’s memory, but if you have a backup of all this data, you can simply load it back on when you’re done. This is the most effective to stop someone from tracking your iPhone.
Keep Your Device Up to Date
If you’re using out of date software, you may have spy applications installed which are using a loophole in the software that could have been patched in a later version. Make sure that you’re always running your device on the most up to date version possible.
Updating to the latest firmware will also undo any jailbreak process that might be affecting your device. This is another great way to stop someone tracking your phone.
Install and Maintain Anti-Virus Software
By installing anti-virus software on your device, this can keep an eye out for potential rogue apps, or apps with potential malicious intent, such as tracking apps. These apps will look for any suspicious activity, so you can see exactly what is going on on your device.
Using IP addresses of your internet activity, you may even be able to find out who is tracking your phone.
By making sure that you’re aware of what a tracking app can do to your phone and using the tips above to make sure that you say protected, you can be sure that your device is relatively safe.
Be mindful of the activity that’s going through your device, as well as paying attention to the people in your life, and you’ll be able to maintain your privacy on your iPhone.
- Mobile Tracker
- 5 Ways to Track A Phone
- Top 10 Best Mobile Location Tracker
- Top 10 Car Tracker You Need to Know
- Top 10 Tracking Devices & Apps for Kids
- Top 10 Child Tracking Devices Parents Need to Know
- 3 Ways to Track Mobile Location
- Top 10 iPhone Tracker in 2018
- 5 Ways to Track A Cell Phone Location for Free
- Top 10 Mobile Tracker App & Services to Track A Phone
- Top 10 GPS Tracker for Kids
- Top 10 iPhone Monitoring Software Parents Need to Know
- 10 Best Free Android Monitoring Apps to Monitor Your Kids
- 10 Best Phone Monitoring Apps Parents Can't Miss
- Monitor Phone Activity on Andriod and iPhone
- Top 10 GPS Phone Trackers for Parents
- Top 10 Free Mobile Trackers You Can't-Miss!
- Top 10 Android Tracking App You Need to Know
- Parental Controls
- Best Parental Control Apps
- Set Parental Control on YouTube
- Best iOS Parental Control Apps
- iPhone Spyware Detection and Removal
- Parental Control Apps for Cell Phone Monitoring
- Parental Control Routers
- Snapchat Parental Control
- Set Parental Controls on Social Media Apps
- The Best Parental Controls for Teen Social Media
- Monitor Social Media Apps on Kid's iPhone
- Monitor Social Media Apps on Android Phones or Tablets
- 10 Reasons You Need Parental Control Software
- The Best Parental Control Software 2018
- Best Free Parental Control Software
- Parental Control Software Reviews
- Parental Control Software for Mac (Macintosh OS X)
- Parental Control Software for Internet Filtering
- The Best Parental Control Software and Apps
- Free Download the Best Parental Control Software
- Best Parental Control Software 2018 - Time Control
- Family Locator
- Best Sprint Family Locator
- Best Verizon Family Locator
- Best Family Locator App
- Best Alternative to Life360 Family Locator
- Best ATT Family Locator
- Locate a Family Member or Share Your Location with Family
- Verizon Wireless Family Locator
- T-Mobile Family Locator
- Best Alternative to VZ Family Locator
- The Best Method to Share Location on iPhone with Your Family
- Best Family Locator App for Android
- FamiSafe - The Best Family Tracing App to Locate Family Members
- T-Mobile FamilyWhere Family Locator App - Pros, Cons and Alternative
- AT&T FamilyMap App - Locate Kids & Find a Lost Phone
- 5 Free Family Locator Apps | Free GPS Tracker for Kids
- Great iPhone Family Locator App for Kids and Family