Methods for Parents to Deal with Facebook Bullying
Bullying as a word is a repetitive act of hostility towards another person which is often as a result of imbalance of either physical or social power often resulting in distress and provocation of the affected party. It is often viewed as an aggressive intimidation and can also be termed as a form of harassment to the affected party. Bullying can be of various kinds and in this age of social media, with Facebook being the highest in use among kids, Facebook bullying has become a worrisome trend which needs immediate fixing and curbing.
Therefore, today we shall be discussing the various aspects of Facebook cyber bullying and how to curb it.
What is Facebook Bullying
Long before bullying had been thought to be an act which was somewhat restricted to physical and verbal harassments alone. However, as said above, with the advent of technology came the term cyberbullying. Cyber bullying which is a common among kids, youth, and teens that makes use of digital means to harass another user with the intent to harm or tarnish the image of the victim.
Facebook is one of the largest social media platforms with easy access via Internet today on mobile and unfortunately it is a place where Facebook cyber bullying takes place.
- Facebook bullying amongst teens includes activities such as spreading and posting rumours that can mar the reputation of the victim.
- Exposing of the victims personal and secretive information, sending and replying of posts with threats of physical bullying or even blackmails.
- It can also include sexual remarks all comments that are tailored at reducing the self-esteem of the victim or to simply imbibe fear and frustration that could result in depression of the victim.
Deal with Facebook bullying via the tools offered by Facebook
Facebook as a multi-million dollar company is also concerned about privacy and well-being of their users thus they have introduced new features and tools to curb Facebook bullying. These tools can be used by users to prevent or stop a repetitive case of Facebook cyber bullying, prevent the loss of self-esteem in victims and ultimately reduce the rate of suicidal ideation caused by such bullying.
Here are some of the ways you can use the Facebook tools and safeguard yourself:
1. Report Posts or Account: reporting of post on Facebook is the longest available tool to prevent Facebook bullying. It alerts the Facebook team about a post that might be offensive or improper and enables them to look into the post in detail. To report a post that contains Facebook cyberbullying contents simply click on the flag or report button next to the post.
2. Hide or Delete Group Comments: There is also a new feature on Facebook that gives the user of the post the authority to hide or delete the comments on a particular post. When this is done no comments would be seen under that post making it impossible for any cyberbully to write hateful of frightening comments on a post. This helps curb Facebook cyber bullying and ensures that users feel safe to post on their timelines.
3. Report Bullying on Someone's Behalf: Knowing fully well that the victims of bullying usually find it difficult to speak out against their bullies, Facebook made it possible for concerned friends and family members to report an account that is involved in Facebook bullying. The account will then be looked into and the case of bullying will be fixed based on an anonymous report. The Facebook team will analyse and if the account has violated social media policies, the posts will be taken down or the account will be suspended. Things and post such as hateful speeches, sexually explicit contents or violently improper comments would be immediately removed.
Facebook it's also looking to implement tools and added features for users to search for and delete words that they consider offensive in the comments sections of any post which they have made.
4. Block Bullies: Facebook lets you block users that they consider to be Facebook bullies or any account that has been engaging in continuous harassment. Once a victim of Facebook bullying blocks a user, the bully will be unable to see posts, make comments, or message the bullied party hereby taking away the possibility of writing hateful or offensive comments.
5. Unfriend Bullies: Facebook takes into consideration the concept of offer and acceptance. Before one user can be friends with another on Facebook a friend request has to be sent and then accepted by the second party. Facebook also includes a privacy setting that makes it possible for “only friends” to view your posts and comments on them. If a user its going through Facebook cyber bullying, that user can decide to unfriend the guilty party. This will automatically screen out the bully from having access to any post made on the victim's account.
Deal with Facebook bullying via FamiSafe
One of the best and useful tools or programs available today that can help prevent cyberbullying including Facebook bullying is FamiSafe by Wondershare. This program is an ultimate safety program created to help parents keep their children safe from all form of digital dangers. With features such as the geo-fencing and GPS live location this program makes it very easy for parents to keep a close eye on the kids at all time by making use of their mobile devices.
a. A new feature known as the suspicious text features has just been included in the latest update of the FamiSafe program. With this new feature parents will be able to get alerts on their mobile devices when suspicious messages are being delivered to their children's phones.
FamiSafe added a comprehensive list of words all grouped under different categories of suspicious messages.
Parents can simply activate the category of suspicious SMS words that they wish to get alert about.
They can also decide to add their own customized list of words that they want the FamiSafe program to alert them about using the add button.
b. How to setup and make use of FamiSafe
FamiSafe is a program available on both Android and iOS devices. In order to setup FamiSafe on your child's phone, simply follow these steps below.
Step 1: Register on FamiSafe.
First of all, you must download the FamiSafe mobile app unto your phone or that of your kids from the app store either on Android or iOS. Then click on the “Register” button to open a FamiSafe account.
Step 2: Install FamiSafe on both parent and kids phone.
Ensure that you install the FamiSafe app on both the device of the parent and that of the kid to be monitored.
Step 3: Setup Kids phone.
Login with your registered account on the app, and then select the phone as “Kids phone” on the app. Then you can type in the name and age of the child.
On iOS - Allow the app to have access to location and also install “Mobile Device Management” file as well.
On Android – Grant permission and click on next then you will be promoted to permit app usage access. You will also need to grant FamiSafe Administrative privileges and the enable its access to locations.
Step 4: Login to Parents phone.
On the parent’s phone, simply login with your credential and select the phone as “Parents” phone. Now you will be able to monitor your kid’s activities.
Tips for Facebook bullying
Here are a few tips that can help and be useful to victims of Facebook bullying to either prevent them from encountering such experiences in the future or to ensure that justice is served.
- The first thing to always do when going through Facebook cyber bullying is to ensure that all forms of communication and evidences of hateful speech, romans, and offensive words are well documented. Victims of bullying should ensure that all evidences are well documented and saved inform of print outs or screenshots.
- Ensure that you do not keep the experiences of Facebook bullying a secret. Victims of Facebook cyber bullying should ensure that they have someone to confide in and relate their personal ordeals to. In situations when you don't feel like reporting to a person, victims should avoid keeping their problems a secret. They should try to report to Facebook team as early and soon as possible. A problem shared they say is half solved.
- All victims of Facebook cyber bullying should ensure that they do not fight back with the urge to take revenge or retaliate against their bully. Once a victim retaliates, he or she is automatically is no longer a victim but becomes the bully himself.
Facebook bullying is becoming a common scenario amongst teens and kids. Parents should try as much as possible to prevent their kids from Facebook cyberbullying as a whole by making use of an advanced monitoring program like FamiSafe. It is easy to setup and use and is also available for a free trial download.
- Anti Bullying
- Protect Kids from Text Bullying
- Social Media Bullying
- Deal with Facebook Bullying
- Bullying for Kids
- Ways to Prevent Bullying
- Different types of Bullying
- Anti Bullying Programs in Schools
- Usefull Anti Bullying App
- Anti Bullying Video
- How to Prevent Bullying in Schools
- Tips for Bullying in Schools
- Solutions to Bullying in School
- Preventing Bullying in Schools
- Deal with Online Bullying
- Screen Time
- Ways to Limit Screen Time on iPhone
- How to Lock Kid's iPhone
- What is Screen Time on iPhone
- Best iPhone Time Limit Apps
- How to Set Parental Restrictions
- How Do You Lock Apps on Android
- The Best Way to Control Kid's Time on iPad
- Effectively Limit child's Screen Time
- How to Ultilize App to Limit Phone Use Freely
- Limit Screen Time and App Usage
- Free Apple Screen Time App
- Free Apps to Limit Screen Time on Phone
- App to Limit Time on Phone
- Blocker Apps
- How to Block Facebook on Mobile and Desktop
- How to Block Facebook on Chrome
- Ways to Block Facebook on Chrome
- How to Block Facebook Messenger Remotely
- How to Use Facebook Security Block
- How to Block a Page on Facebook and Browser
- How to Block Facebook Users
- How to Block Facebook on iPhone
- How to Block Kids' Facebook Account
- Effective ways for Facebook Blocking
- 10 Best Facebook Blocker Apps
- Defeat Facebook Addiction with Block App
- Something Must Know about Blocking on Facebook
- Blocking Facebook on iPhone and Chrome
- How to Block Someone on Facebook
- Something about Facebook Messenger Block
- How to Block Facebook Messages
- Block Messages on Facebook from Another Phone
- How to Block People on Teen's Facebook
- How to Block Facebook on Android and iPhone