How to Filter a Website on Chrome
- Internet Filter
- Best Internet Filters for Your Kid's Phones and Tablets
- k9 Internet Filter Review
- Free Internet Filter
- The Best Internet Filters
- 10 Best Internet Content Filters
- FamiSafe Internet Filtering Software
- 10 Easy Ways Kids Can Bypass Internet Filters
- Web Filter for Android
- Internet Filter for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- The Best Internet Filter for Mac
- Social App Monitoring
- Snapchat Tracker to Track Kids' Snapchat
- How Can I Monitor Child's Snapchat
- How to Monitor Snapchat Remotely
- How to Monitor Snapchat for Free
- Top 10 Snapchat Monitoring Apps
- Ways to Monitor Snapchat without Jailbreak
- How to Monitor Snapchat on iPhone
- Monitor Snapchat on iPhone for child safety
- Something Parents Must Know about Snapchat Monitoring
- How Can Parents Monitor Snapchat
- Web Content Blocking
- Block Porn Websites
- Best Porn Blocking Apps 2018
- Block Porn on iPhone
- Block Porn Sites
- Porn Blocking Software for Parents
- Block Porn on Android
- Block Porn on Kid's Cell Phone
- Block Porn on Your Kid's Phone
- New Porn Blocking App for Parents 2018
- Block All Porn Sites on Your Phone
- Porn Sites not Blocked by Opendns - Parents Should Know
- Block Porn on Computer
- Block an App from Accessing the Internet
- Block Adult Content on Android
- Block Adult Content on Youtube
- 3 Methods to Block Adult Websites
- Block Adult Sites on Kid's Cell Phone Phone
- Block Websites on Chrome
- Best Parental Control to Block Social Media and Distracting Websites
- Keep Your Family Safe Online
- Block Certain Websites on iPhone
- Block Websites on Mac
- Block a Website on Safari
- Block All Game Sites on Your Kid's Cell Phone
- Block Websites on Firefox
- Block Certain Websites on Kid's Cell Phone
- How Do You Block a Website on Kid's iPhone
- Block a Website on Internet Explorer
- FamiSafe WebFilter - Block All Porn/Sex Sites
- The Best Website Blocker and Internet Restriction Apps
- How Can Parents Block Specific Websites from Children
- Best Internet Filters and Website Blocking Software 2018
- Permanently Block A Website
- Best Website Blockers For Studying
- Block Websites on Windows 7
- Block Websites on Computer
- Block Inappropriate Websites on My Kid's Phone
- Block Websites on iPad
- Temporarily Block Distracting Websites
- Block Websites for a Period of Time
- Block Someone on Whatsapp
The internet is a fantastic resource and never before has the human race had the ability to connect to such a vast wealth of information and resources. Whether you’re educating yourself, browsing the ever-popular social media platforms or simply looking for entertainment; the internet has it all.
However, while there’s a lot of pros to having access to the internet, there’s also a lot of problems with it. For example, if you’re trying to work on school work or a project, it’s so easy to fall into the rabbit hole where you end up binging content for hours on end.
Likewise, if you have children who have access to the internet, there’s always the ever-present danger of them accessing content that’s unsuitable for them, such as gambling websites, pornography and other websites with inappropriate, violent or aggressive content.
These are just some of the reasons why you might you might want to block and filter websites on the internet, but thankfully if you’re using the Google Chrome web browser, there are plenty of options out there to help you out.
That’s why today we’re going to explore the ins and outs of three of the most effective methods, detailing everything you need to know.
3 Ways to Filter a Website on Chrome
Method 1: Block a Website Using a Chrome Filter Extension #1
Perhaps the easiest way to completely block a website while using Chrome is using the web browser Chrome filter extension known as Block Site. Block Site is a simple yet highly effective extension which makes it incredibly to block as many websites as you like by simply tapping a button.
Whether you’re trying to enhance your productivity by filtering out websites that normally distract you, or you’re protecting your children from unsuitable websites, this is a great solution that takes next-to-no effort.
Here’s how you can get set up and start using this as a Chrome filter right now;
From your Chrome browser, head over to the Chrome Store and search ‘Block Site’ in the search bar. Find the official extension page and add the ‘Add to Chrome’ button. Accept all the permissions and extension will automatically install itself onto your computer.
The icon for Block Site will now appear in the top right-hand side of your browser. Simply navigate to any website you want to filter and block, click the extension icon and click the big Block Site button. This will add the website to your block list, and you’ll no longer be able to access it.
You can also type the URL of the website into the extension directly to block it in the same way.
When you want to unblock a website, simply open the extension using the right-hand toolbar menu, tap the Settings option and then navigate through the list of websites until you find the one you want to unblock. Click the Unblock website button, and you’ll be able to access it once again.
Method 2: Block the Website Directly Through Your Router
A highly effective way to block any website from your Chrome web browser, and in fact, any internet-enabled device in your home or within your internet network is blocking the website through your router. This means any attempt to access the website will simply be blocked before it even manages to get to any device and is, therefore, one of the effective methods of doing it this.
However, as mentioned above, this will block the website from being accessed from any device in your home, so if you still want to access the website yourself, you’ll need to use mobile data, or unblock the website from your router, meaning anyone can access it again.
Here’s how to do it;
Open your Chrome web browser and type in the manual address to access your router settings. This will depend on your router and should be found in the instruction manual. However, the code is normally one of the ones below.
192.168.1.1 or 192.168.01
Again, navigating your router settings will be dependent on the router you’re using, but the options should be self-explanatory. Go through your settings and navigate to where you can block a website or add parental controls.
When you’ve found the page, type in the URLs on the websites you want to filter and click Save. Now the website(s) will be blocked until you remove them from your router’s block list using the same method.
Method 3: Block Access to a Website Using Chrome Extension 2
Similar to the Block Site Chrome filter extension we spoke about in Method #1, another high-performance extension known as Personal Blocklist is another ideal choice for blocking and filtering websites on your Chrome browser. However, what makes this extension special is the fact it’s developed by Google themselves.
This means you get to enjoy the most integrated experience when filtering and blocking websites. In fact, the extension embeds itself directly into the Google Search pages, and you can block websites in a single click from the results page. Of course, you can also block individual websites by typing in the direct URL.
Here’s how you can start using.
Head over to the Personal Blocklist page on the Chrome Web Store and click the Add to Chrome button.
Now, whenever you search for something on the Google search engine, under the URL of each search result, you’ll have the ability to block the website completely. For example, you could search ‘pornography,’ and then simply block every single item on the search page.
How to Use FamiSafe to Filter a Website
As you can see, there are a lot of ways you go about blocking and filtering a website using a Chrome filter extension or router blocking method, but this doesn’t account for blocking websites on your child’s mobile device; especially if they’re using their mobile data plan.
This means you’ll need another tool that grants you access to their device to manually block websites which, in this case, comes in the form of FamiSafe.
FamiSafe is the world’s leading parental control application that’s designed to not only be super effective in terms of functionality and user experience but also in the number of features it provides. Some of these features include;
- The ability to filter and block entire categories of websites, or individual URLs
- Monitor app usage of the device and how long apps are being used for
- See all apps that are installed on the device
- Track the devices real-time location using GPS information
- Block access to the entire device completely, or set up a custom downtime schedule
Here’s how you can get set up and running with FamiSafe right now;
Head over to the FamiSafe website and sign up for an account. For this, you’ll need to input your email address, as well as creating a secure password. Once set up, you’ll need to download and install the FamiSafe app on both your phone and your child’s device.
You can download this directly through the website or searching ‘FamiSafe’ in your respective app store.
Once the app has been downloaded and installed automatically, open the app on both devices and sign into each one using the account details we created in Step #1. This will securely sign you into your account and will link both devices.
Now, when prompted, identify each device using the suitable tags; either Parent or Child, which will then help show FamiSafe which phone is the controlling device. Of course, label your own device as the Parent phone.
You’ll then need to follow the onscreen instructions and accept the following permissions for the app to run properly. This will differ depending on whether you’re running an Android or iOS device. Once the installation process has been completed, you’ll be able to hand your child’s phone back to them to use as normal.
To start filtering websites and applying a Chrome filter to your child’s phone, simply open the FamiSafe app, and you’ll find yourself on your dashboard. On the menu, select the Web Filter option. Here, you’ll be able to select which genre of website you want to block, and you’ll be able to add individual exceptions to allow through the filter if you wish.
Once the filters have been applied, your child will not be able to access these websites and will instead see the FamiSafe block screen image. If you ever want to remove the website from the block list, you can do so by navigating through the same menus.
As you can see, when it comes to blocking websites and applying a chrome filter to your Chrome web browser, there are plenty of options out there for you to choose from. It doesn’t matter if you’re filtering content from a desktop computer or a mobile device, there’s a solution out there for you.