How to Set Up Parental Controls on Your iPhone X/8/7/6
Smartly Control Your Kid's iOS Devices
We will provide a comprehensive guide on setting up parental controls on iPhone that can be used to restrict children’s iPhone usage.
As parents, we have to place restrictions on our children’s iPhone usage. Studies indicate that children spend about 2 hours a day on the screen which easily translates to 60 hours a month. Spending too much time on the phone can affect their social links, physical health, and cognitive abilities. However, despite disadvantages, children are lured to spend more time on the phone because of social media, and gaming apps. As parents, we need to make sure that there are restrictions on our children’s usage for their own health. The best way to monitor children’s usage is through parental controls on iPhone.
So, in this article today, we shall learn how to apply Parental Controls for iPhone.
Process to apply the Parental Controls on iPhone
To understand more about how to apply the Parental Controls on your iPhone device, just go through the mentioned methods to come out with right parental controls featured to your child’s iPhone device.
Turn Parental Controls on or off
Fortunately, the iPhone X/8/7/6 offer parents the option to ‘block’ or restrict phone access.
To implement parental control settings on iPhone follow the steps listed out below:
Step 1: Go to Settings > Then visit General Restrictions.
Step 2: Select ‘Enable Restrictions’
Step 3: Add a password. The password will be a ‘Restrictions password’ which can be used to change settings or turn off the Restrictions.
It is important to keep your password simple so that you will remember it. If you forget your password, then you will need to ‘erase’ your child’s device and set it as a brand new one.
Allow the use of built-in Apple apps and features
You can prevent your child from accessing certain apps, while still using the iPhone.
To make use of this feature, follow these steps:
Step 1: Visit Settings, then go to ‘General’.
Step 2: Select the ‘Restrictions’ tab. All the apps installed on the phone will be listed. Each app will also have an accompanying switch icon right next to it.
Step 3: Select the app you want to restrict and tap on the switch, the color should change from green to grey.
This feature is very useful for blocking online purchases as well. Some of the apps that can be blocked are iTunes, AirDrop, CarPlay, Safari, and Camera. Note, that if one app is blocked, third-party apps using the app will be blocked as well. For example, if you block Camera, Instagram will be inaccessible.
Prevent access to explicit content and content ratings
Concerned that your children are watching and listening to explicit content?
The iPhone X/8/7/6 security settings give you the option to place rating restrictions on content.
Step 1: Go to Settings > Restrictions
Step 2: Select ‘Allowed Content’
Step 3: Customize the restriction settings as you see fit. You can set the iPhone to follow the national rating system of a certain country, and place ratings on movies, TV shows, music videos, and podcasts.
Here, you can prevent the particular app with specified ratings.
Prevent access to websites
If you are worried that your child is visiting websites with explicit content, then restrict the Safari browser.
To place restrictions on websites you must:
Step 1: Visit the Settings app> after that go to General >click on Restrictions > then go for Websites option
Step 2: Choose the option as per the requirement in terms of content All Websites, Limit Adult Content, Specific Websites Only.
Allow changes to privacy settings
Some apps require access to phone information to provide service; however, you can prevent this by changing privacy settings. To alter privacy settings you must follow the process.
Step 1: Go to Settings > Restrictions > Privacy
Step 2: Choose which apps need to be restricted. These apps are placed in different categories like Location Services, Contacts, Photos, Bluetooth sharing, Microphone etc.
Allow changes to other settings and features
If your child is tech-savvy, he or she may undo many restrictions you imposed. However, you can prevent this from happening by following these instructions.
Step 1: Settings > General > Restrictions
Step 2: Select from the available list of options to place restrictions as shown in the image below.
Turn off Restrictions if you're missing an app
There might be situations where you have to turn off Restrictions settings. These situations include:
- You setting is dimmed or missing (FaceTime, iCloud or Twitter).
- You cannot see an app on the home screen.
- You do not have access to a service or a feature.
New Parental controls features are coming
iPhones and iPads will feature controls via iOS 12, launching this fall, with an app called Screen Time. The app will give parents more information on how their kids use mobile devices, as well as more chances to control how often they are in front of their touchscreen.
What is Screen Time?
iPhone’s X,6,7 and 8 offer excellent parental control schemes but there is always a room for improvement. Apple is keenly aware of this and is offering brand new self-control features in iOS 12 operating systems. One of the new features is Screentime and is well suited to parents who need to monitor their children.
What can it do for us?
Screen Time is an app that creates daily, weekly, and monthly reports on how an owner uses their smartphone. The app gathers and compiles information on the following categories:
- Types of apps used.
- The number of notifications received.
- How often they pick up the iOS device.
The objective of Screen Time is to give people a better understanding of what they do on their mobile devices. Furthermore, Screen Time lets owners set time limits on the apps they use. For example, if an iOS user wants to spend less time on social media, he can set a time limit of 20 minutes for the Facebook app.
However, Screen Time will be very useful for parents who need to monitor their children.
- Screen Time lets parents view the Activity Reports of their children’s iOS devices from their very own iPhone/iPad.
- Parents can schedule ‘Down Time’, a period where all apps will be blocked, and notifications will not be displayed.
- Screen Time gives parents the freedom to set limits on their children’s iOS device by setting time limits on apps. As an example, if a parent discovers their children spending too much time playing online games, they can set a time limit of 10 minutes. Once the children spend 10 minutes playing online games on their phone, the app will be blocked.
- Furthermore, Screen Time lets parents make all these adjustments from their own iOS device.
Thus, we can say Screen Time will be one of the best Parental Controls feature on iPhone devices.
FamiSafe - The best iPhone Parental Control
However, if you are looking for a Parental Control app which offers more features than Screen Time then download FamiSafe. This parental control app for iPhone also lets parents impose tighter regulations on their children’s online activities.
- If your children are not studying or sleeping at night, parents can use FamiSafe to block these apps. This is an improvement over Spyize, unlike with Screen Time, where you can only place time restrictions.
- Block these distracting apps so that your children will concentrate better.
- Utilize FamiSafe’s Screen Time lets parents place time limits on their children’s iOS devices.
- Sometimes, you need to block apps on your children’s phone to make sure they are not distracted by apps. FamiSafe lets you block certain apps for prolonged periods of time.
Are you concerned about where your kids are going at odd hours of the day?
FamiSafe has iOS geofencing that lets you place ‘boundaries around your child’s iPhone/iPad. If they cross those boundaries, i.e. stray far from home you will get an immediate notice. There is also a tracking device, which lets parents keep an eye on where their children are.
Apple recognizes parent’s need to place restrictions on an iOS device to make sure their children lead happy, balanced lives. Parents can find excellent parental controls on iPhone X/6/7 and 8. However, newer apps like Screen Time and FamiSafe offer more features. Parents have an excellent choice of apps, however, we recommend using FamiSafe. This is because FamiSafe offers a plethora of features few other parental control apps can offer. Furthermore, Skype offers a free trial version for those who are interested. You need only visit the website and sign up to get a free account.
- Parental Controls
- 1.1 Baby Monitor
- 1.2 Monitor Child's iPhone
- 1.3 Check Private Browsing History on Android
- 1.4 Check Your Child's Online Web Browser History
- 1.5 Free Parental Control Apps for Android
- 1.6 Best Parental Control Apps
- 1.7 Set Parental Control on YouTube
- 1.8 Best iOS Parental Control Apps
- 1.9 iPhone Spyware Detection and Removal
- 1.10 Parental Control Apps for Cell Phone Monitoring
- 1.11 Parental Control Routers
- 1.12 Snapchat Parental Control
- Mobile Tracker
- 2.1 Android GPS Tracking Apps
- 2.2 Child GPS Tracking Devices
- 2.3 GPS Tracking Device for Kids
- 2.4 Find Someone's Location on Facebook
- 2.5 See someone’s Location on iPhone
- 2.6 How to Track a Phone Number
- 2.7 Cell Phone Tracker by Number
- 2.8 Best GPS Phone Tracker
- 2.9 Find Real Time Location of a Mobile Phone
- 2.10 Find Your Lost Android Phone
- 2.11 Share Location Between iPhone and Android
- 2.12 Track a Cell Phone Location for Free
- 2.13 Track A Person's Location
- 2.14 How to Track Your Kid's iPhone
- 2.15 If Your Phone is Being Monitored?
- 2.16 How Do I Stop Someone Tracking My iPhone?
- 2.17 Which Websites Are Visited?
- Block Apps & Sites
- 3.1 Best Ad Blocker Apps
- 3.2 Porn Blocker App to Block Porn
- 3.3 Block Porn on Android
- 3.4 Block a Phone Number on iPhone
- 3.5 Block Porn on iPhone
- 3.6 How to Block Porn Sites
- 3.7 Block Websites on Android Phone
- 3.8 Block Text Messages on Android and iPhone
- 3.9 Block Websites on Android Chrome
- 3.10 Porn Blocking Apps for Parents
- 3.11 Free website blocker apps and chrome extension