Parental Controls - How to Lock Down Your Kid's iPhone
Lock Down Your Kid's iPhone
- iPhone Parenting
- iPad Parenting
- iPod Parenting
"How can I set the parental lock on the iPhone? I don't want my kids to use social media so much, but can't seem to find a reliable parental lock for iPhone."
In this digital world, tech device has become a handy tool for everyone, adults and kids. Like you, numerous parents also have the same concern about kid’s prolonged screen time. They cannot keep kids away from tech devices all the time since kids may still need the phone to stay in touch with their friends and teachers, search for the information they need for their homework, and take classes. But parents still wish to make sure that their kids won't overly use their smartphones and wonder whether there is any way to set the parental lock on their kids’ devices.
iPhone has built-in settings that can help parents remotely restrict kid’s iPhone usage. Here, we will give you a guide on setting up a parental lock on your kid’s iPhone remotely by both the built-in features and the third-party parental lock iPhone app.
Table of the Content
How to Set the Parental Lock on the iPhone?
Note: the methods will work on the iPhone running ios 12 and above.
The best way to make sure your kids can get what they need and also prevent them from using the phones excessively at the same time is to enable the built-in Screen Time feature on iPhone. Here are the steps:
1. Go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
2. Tap Downtime, then set the scheduled screen time as you like. Once it reaches the scheduled time, kids will not play the game, surf online, or use social media apps. While the phone calls and messages will still go through.
Another feature that can help is Family Sharing. Here are the steps:
1. Open Settings then click on Screen Time.
2. Click Set Up Screen Time for Family.
3. Create an account for your child, then connect it with your phone.
4. Next time you need to control your kids’ devices remotely, you need to click your kid’s name.
5. Click Turn on Screen Time
6. To set the Downtime, you can follow the above instructions.
7. Then set a Screen Time passcode when prompted.
How to Limit Access to website on iPhone?
Apart from screen time limit, it is also possible to restrict your kids from accessing inappropriate websites on iPhone. Here is how to do that:
1. Go to Settings on iPhone and click Screen Time
2. Find Content & Privacy Restrictions, and fill in the screen time passcode you set before.
3. If the setting is not turned on yet, swipe the button to the right to enable Content & Privacy Restrictions.
4. Go to Content Restrictions, and find Web Content.
5. Choose Limit Adult Websites or Allowed Websites Only. Then you are able to control your kids’ access by adding website to the Allowed list or not allowed list.
How to Control iTunes & App Store Purchase on iPhone?
Another way to set parental lock on the iPhone is to limit the app purchase. Follow the below instruction to finish the setting:
1. Go to Settings on the iPhone and tap Screen Time
2. Choose Content & Privacy Restrictions and fill in the passcode as it requires.
3. Click iTunes & App Store Purchases, then Tap Don’t Allow
FamiSafe - The Best Parental Control App for iPhone
If the methods introduced above don't work as expected, or your kids are so tech-savvy that they can find a way to bypass all the restrictions, you will not want to miss Wondershare FamiSafe. One of the best ways to implement parental lock on the iPhone is by using FamiSafe. The app is compatible with all the leading iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Chromebook, and Fire OS devices. In addition, it provides extensive features that can help you monitor how your kids use their tech devices. Not just that – you can even restrict device usage as well. Just visit the FamiSafe app and restrict or block the kid's iPhone whenever and wherever you want.
How to Lock your Kid's iPhone with Wondershare FamiSafe?
As you can see, FamiSafe is a complete parental lock iPhone app that can help you in different ways. To start with, let's learn how to set the parental lock on the iPhone remotely. In this way, you can lock the device when your kids are at the school, in bed, or while studying.
Step 1: Download the FamiSafe app
Firstly, you need to download the parental control iPhone app on both the devices. You can visit the official website of FamiSafe or its App Store page to do it.
Once you have downloaded the app, launch it on your device, and create your account. Sign in to your account using the relevant credentials. You can also log-in to the app on your kid's iPhone using the same credentials.
Step 2: Link both the devices
Now, on your device, you need to mark it as a parent while on your kid's iPhone, it should be marked as a child.
In addition to that, you also need to specify the type of device your kids have. In this case, it is iOS.
Perform all the needed steps to make sure that both the devices are now connected.
In the end, you can simply launch FamiSafe and enter any feature from its home.
Step 3: Set Smart Schedules on the device
As you know, FamiSafe has a dedicated feature that can be used to lock the iPhone remotely. To access it, go to its "Smart Schedule" option from the welcome screen and choose to set new restrictions.
Here, you can set the phone unavailability time. There is an option to set the unavailability duration (start and end time) on certain days of the week.
You can simply save a schedule from here. Also, you can switch between and even edit different schedules too.
There is also a feature to make the device unavailable at a specific location. To do this, enable the "Add a place to apply the schedule" feature. After that, you can specify a certain location where the phone would not work.
In the end, just save the changes you have just made. During the restricted duration, all third-party apps, browsers, and even the App Store would not work.
Once you have added all the restrictions, you can simply turn them on or off with a single tap on your phone.
How to Set Screen Limits on Kid's iPhone?
Besides setting up strict device unavailability and schedules, you can also set time-based restrictions on an iOS device. If your kids are getting addicted to their phone, then you can simply apply a parental lock on the iPhone. For instance, if you just want your kids to use their iPhone for not more than 2 hours a day, then you can set 2 hours as the maximum screen limit. FamiSafe can make it work. Parents need to set the screen limit on the target device. Once the screen limit is reached, the kids won't be able to use the smartphone.
1. From the home page of FamiSafe, visit the "Screen Time" option.
2. Here, you will get an option to set screen time limits or lock the device.
3. To instantly disable the device, just tap on the "Lock Device" button. In this way, you can lock or unlock your kid's phone remotely.
4. To further customize the parental lock on the iPhone, tap on the "Set Screen Time Limit" option. Here, you can provide a duration for the screen time.
During the blocked period, the phone will only have access to emergency features. Your kids won't be able to access any third-party apps as well.
Whenever they would cross the respective screen time, they will get a prompt on their phone. During an emergency, they can request you to unblock the device.
We hope that after going through this guide, you would be able to learn how to set up this amazing iPhone parental controls app. FamiSafe is quite easy to use and comes with a free trial of 3 days as well. Compatible with all the leading iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire devices, it is certainly a must-have app for every parent out there.