Chromebook vs Laptop for Child, Which is Better for Kids?
Should I Get My Kids a Chromebook or Laptop?
- Mac Parental Control
- Windows Parental Control
- Other Desktop Parental Control Tips
In the current digital era, devices such as Chromebooks and laptops are ideal for learning in schools. They help your kids to take notes fast and easier when they are in class. These devices also help students to work as a team and progress in school. In this article, we'll look at Chromebook vs laptop for children and which one you should choose for them. You may also like this article: What Chromebooks are the Best for Educational Purposes? 2021
What Are The Differences Between a Chromebook and a Laptop
When looking at Chromebook vs laptop, there are several things that you should check to differentiate the two. These include:
- Price tag
A Chromebook has a lower price tag than a laptop. They run on the Google operating system called Chrome OS, you can run Windows OS on a Chromebook but it will take a lot of effort. The fact that Chromebooks are cheaper does not mean that you will get less value from them.
- Operating System
A Chromebook is more or less the same as a laptop. Even though laptops and Chromebooks are portable, they differ in several things such as functionality, software, and User Interface.
Chromebooks are thinner, smaller, and lighter than laptops. Few ultra-portable traditional laptops can compete against modern portable Chromebooks.
A Chromebook does not have high performance than a laptop with the latest version of Windows OS. The performance is due to the device specifications and its ability to handle lots of hard work.
- Battery Life
A Chromebook has a longer battery life than that a laptop. Therefore, this gives Chromebooks a competitive advantage since they can store charge for up to 11 hours.
When checking Chromebook vs laptop, you must also look at their display. With a laptop, you get to have more display size options and graphics.
Chromebook vs Laptop, Which One Should You Get for Your Kids
Technology has made life easier in one way or the other. Most importantly, kids can now depend on devices such as Chromebooks and laptops to fulfill most of their school work. When looking at Chromebook vs laptop, you should get the most suitable device for your kid. Essentially, a Chromebook is ideal for young kids. They have several advantages to your kids. These include:
- They are smaller and lightweight than traditional laptops. In case of an accidental drop or spill, they have higher chances of surviving.
- Chromebooks lack fast processors, 4K screens, and high-end specs. Such features are not necessary for your kids. Want to know the best part? Chromebooks boot up fast. They also run smoothly as there is no lag time when you are opening or closing programs.
- The other reason why Chromebooks are the best option for your kids is that their operating system is easy to use, and it's very secure. It is easier for young kids in school to familiarize themselves with Chrome OS compared to a Windows OS. That means your kids will have better chances of excelling in the class.
- Chromebooks keep on being improving as time passes by. The recent versions of Chromebooks support Android apps, have a touchscreen feature, and good processing capability. Besides, they are easy-to-use, which makes them ideal for kids who are 5 to 15 years.
- Everyone knows that children love to play games, both digital and practical. Luckily, you won’t have to worry about your child spending too much time playing games instead of focusing on their studies. Limiting them from accessing other sites and games, a Chromebook is the greatest gift parents can give their kids.
- No one wants to wake up and find that their device has crashed, losing all of their school files. With Chromebooks, everything you do gets automatically backed up on Google Drive. Hence the feature cloud-based. So in case your Chromebook device crashes, you will not lose all of your files
- Lastly, Google Chrome OS is like an impenetrable fortress in itself. Every web page runs on its sandbox. In other words, a virus won’t affect other parts of the computer.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Chromebook for Your Kid
Before you look into the Chromebook vs laptop for a child, there are several things that you may want to consider to help you buy the right device. These include:
- Age and Grade Level
In the current era, kids are using Chromebook devices frequently. However, the technological needs of college kids are different from the needs of a younger preschool kid. Chromebooks are suitable for kids who are in grades 1 to 4. If your kid is in college or university, then you might want to get them a laptop.
Because a Chromebook is cheaper than a laptop, you can buy it for your kid if you don't want to spend a lot of money. If you need more features, you will have to dig deeper into your pocket. So when it comes to Chromebook vs laptop for children, buy the device that fits your budget.
When looking at Chromebook vs laptop for kids, you need to know what your kid will use the device for in school. Ask yourself this question: Will it have the necessary specs for coding or gaming experience? Such questions will guide you to buy a suitable device that will serve the needs of your kids. Here is how a Chromebook can help your kid.
What are the benefits of getting your kids a Chromebook?
These days, computer literacy is an essential component of students' learning activities. Giving them access to Chromebooks is the best gift you can ever give them. These devices have a lot to offer to your kids, as they make their learning journey easier. With that in mind, let's look at other benefits of Chromebooks to your kid.
- Allow them to Access Online Learning resources
Providing your child with access to a Chromebook grants them access to a variety of online resources. Chromebooks help students with interactive lessons and give them access to the digital know-how. Such skills are important in preparing them for life in the future.
- Provide Kids with Education at an Affordable Price
Imagine getting the privilege of accessing learning resources with a high-performing device that you can get at an affordable price. It is now possible for schools to introduce modern learning technology tools to students thanks to Google Chromebook.
- Improves Teacher-Student Collaboration
Chromebooks offer tools that promote student-teacher collaboration. Kids can now access Gmail to contact their teachers in case of a query. It gets better: Teachers can now monitor students' assignments from their devices and provide feedback.
- They Keep Students Engaged
Technology has proven to promote student engagement. Unlike what other educators had initially feared, they have come to learn that Chromebooks effective. They give students a platform to engage with other peers. The bottom line is: Chromebooks are devices that encourage and promote education.
- Improves Your Kids' Tech Skills
Chromebooks help kids to improve the basic keyboarding skills and their speech skills. Also, they help to improve online research skills. Chromebooks are ideal for kids at the lower grade levels. They give them a chance to sharpen their wits on technology.
Use FamiSafe to Keep Your Children Safe When They are Using a Laptop
If your kids insist on getting a laptop instead of a Chromebook, you should look for ways to apply protection for them. The internet has managed to bring people closer together than ever. However, this has also opened up new avenues for information research and resulted in a whole dark side of unthinkable possibilities. Nowadays, kids can connect with any person anywhere around the globe. They can also access inappropriate content and download applications that are not suitable for them. Luckily, you can use FamiSafe to ensure your kid is focusing on their school work, even with a school Chromebook.
FamiSafe allows you to limit your child's laptop usage. All you need to do is set up parental control on kids' devices. The app allows you to set a screen time limit. That means you can control when and where your children can use their laptops. In turn, this ensures that they will only use their devices to do school work. FamiSafe also allows you to check your kids' browsing behavior. You can then block any websites that you think are inappropriate for your kids.
Your kids need Chromebooks or laptops to help make learning easier while they are at school. However, there are many dangers that they may encounter when on the internet. They can access websites that are not suitable for kids. FamiSafe allows you to keep an eye on your children and block any sites with inappropriate content. As such, the app is recommended for parents who want to ensure their children are using their Chromebooks or laptop for the right tasks.