Parents Guide| Set Samsung Tablet Kids Mode
Set Samsung Tablet Kids Mode
- Android Parental Control App
- How to Set Android Parenting
- Other Android parenting tips
The safety of your child is always a top priority for any parent. The risks are much more significant, given the accessibility to the internet and digital devices. However, there are controls that manufacturers have included in their devices to make them safer for your kids to use. One such manufacturer is Samsung. Across all their devices, whether it is the TV, DVD player, or their range of phones, you can now monitor the activity that happens on the device.
Tablets are increasingly becoming preferable to computers, given their portability and user-friendly nature. Whether it is at home or school, your child will most likely have access to the Samsung Galaxy tablet. You can now breathe easy as from version three and above, the devices come with controls that allow you to monitor all activity that happens.
Can you put parental controls on a Samsung Tablet?
Samsung galaxy kids tablets now come with comprehensive parental controls to ensure your child's safety. To activate parental controls, all you need to do is download the Kids mode app from the Google PlayStore. Once you download the app, you will be prompted to enter a one-time four-digit pin and grant the app's necessary permissions. After entering the pin, you will then be asked to create a child profile that includes their name and age.
What is Samsung tablet kids mode?
Samsung tablet kids' mode is a parental control app that creates a safe and user-friendly environment for your child when using the device. It provides limitations to the device's functionality and only allows age-appropriate content to be viewed on the account. The app is available across all Samsung galaxy devices that have been in production since 2005. In older devices, the app is known as Kids Mode, and Kids Home in more recent devices.
You need to follow specific steps before you can successfully enable the Samsung tablet kid's mode. Depending on who the device's primary user is, you may be required to create different user profiles on the device. For share devices, here is how you create a new user.
- Go to the settings menu on the Samsung tablet and select the Users option.
- Depending on the year of manufacture, the options available may be Add User or Add profile. Click on this and then proceed with creating a new profile.
- Select the Choose Restricted Profile option and input a password. The reason for this is to prevent your child from deleting the profile to access restricted content.
- Once the profile is created, you can now proceed to download the Kids' mode app from the Google PlayStore.
To make the device run as an exclusive Samsung galaxy Kids tablet, you will need to activate the app so that it can run without any hitch. Below are the steps you need to do to activate the app:
- Launch the Kids Mode App by clicking on its shortcut from the main menu.
- Once the app is launched, you will be prompted to enter a four-digit pin.
- The next step is to create your child's profile. You will see a prompt asking you to input your kid's name and age.
As you finish entering the details, you will need to accept the terms and conditions before the Samsung galaxy kids tablet mode is activated. The above procedure is standard across all Samsung galaxy tablets version 3 and is running the latest version of the Android operating system.
The parental controls that are available to you in the Samsung galaxy kids tablet mode are as follows:
Limiting your child's usage time on the device.
Digital technology is not bad for your child. However, when consumed in excess, it can become addictive and take the time of other essential activities for your child. As the primary administrator, you can set time limits for how long your child will spend on the device. To do this, you need to:
- Launch the kids mode app from the main menu.
- Select the parental control menu option and enter your pin.
- You will then see the option to set a Daily Playtime Limit. Click on it and customize it according to how you see fit. The default is set at thirty minutes. However, you can customize it to a hundred and eighty minutes with five-minute intervals in between.
Once set, your child can use the device during the specified times, and it becomes non-functional once the limit is exceeded.
Apps limitations on the device
Not all apps included in the PlayStore are age-appropriate for your child. By limiting download and purchase access, you can control what sort of content your child is accessing. By default, the Samsung galaxy kids tablet mode comes with apps purposefully selected for their educational content and entertainment value. Apps such as Kids Drawing and Kids Music promote the development of your children's creative side.
You still have the option to add up to thirty more apps from the Kids Store should you wish. All you need to do is the following.
- Launch the Kids Mode App from the main menu and select the parental control icon.
- Input your four-digit pin and select the application's icon.
- Tap add, and you will see a list of apps from the Kids Store with checkboxes next to them.
- Choose the ones you want and tap on done once finished.
One thing that will ease your mind is that your child is unable to download or make any in-app purchases without inputting your pin. Not only is this good for your wallet, but also you can be sure that your child is only restricted to the content that you have pre-selected.
Limiting the access to calls
Kids Mode does not come with call functionality. However, you can allow the app to access contacts if the device supports sim technology. You can select which numbers are available to be called by following the below process.
- Enable access to contacts and phone from the parental control setting in the app.
- Tap the settings cogwheel and select the contacts option.
- Click on add a contact, and you will be presented with the list of numbers available on the phonebook. Check the box next to each contact you want to add and click done when finished.
- You can follow the same procedure if you also want to delete specific numbers available in the Kids Mode phonebook.
How to turn on/off kid mode on a Samsung tablet?
There are two ways to activate and deactivate the Kids Mode app on the tablet. If you have the pin, launch the app and select the exit kids mode option at the bottom of the screen. Input the pin when the prompt appears, and you will be done. Follow the same steps if you want to reactivate the app.
In case you have forgotten the pin, you can deactivate the app by launching the tablet in a safe mode. To do this,
- Click the power button until the power off menu appears.
- Tap and hold on the power off icon until safe mode appears and select it.
- The device will restart with the words safe mode at the bottom of the corner.
- Once it is done rebooting, go to the settings menu and click on apps to uninstall the Kids Mode App.
The safe mode option will delete everything that is included in the app, and the process cannot be reversed. Should you wish to have Kids Mode active again, you will need to follow the installation procedure as indicated above.
What FamiSafe can help?
Although the Samsung galaxy kids tablet mode offers significant oversight in your child's digital safety, it falls short in some areas. There are limitations to it in terms of web activity and location tracking, which are equally important. It also appears too overbearing and may not be suitable for children in their teens.
Try for Free on Google Play and App Store!
- Web Filter & SafeSearch
- Screen Time Limit & Schedule
- Location Tracking & Driving Report
- App Blocker & App Activity Tracker
- YouTube History Monitor & Video Blocker
- Social Media Texts & Porn Images Alerts
- Works on Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Kindle Fire
The FamiSafe app presents a more well-rounded solution that allows you to monitor your child's digital safety without being overly involved. Furthermore, you can employ restrictions and monitor your child's activity remotely from a different device.
Register for an account through the Famisafe website and download the app on the devices you want to monitor. Once this is done, log into your online account on each device and then proceed with registering your children's profiles using the app on your device or web portal.
Whether you are using a computer or a non-android device, you can still manage your kids' Samsung galaxy tablet from the web portal. It is less intrusive and gives your child the freedom to use the tablet to its full potential.
Samsung's Galaxy tablet kids mode is a great way to ensure parental control on your kid's device. However, it may not be suitable for children in their preteens as the content may not be suitable for them. Famisafe allows you to exert control on your children's activities without being too restrictive. Try it now and see it work wonders for you.