Tumblr Parent Review: Is it Really Safe for Kids?
Tumblr Parent Review
- Blocker App
- Best free call blocker app for Android
- Block Discord on Phone, Computer and Chromebook
- Best call blocker apps
- Website blocker apps and chrome extension
- Website blocker apps for studying
- Message blocker apps
- A Complete Guide to Block TikTok for Your Kids
- Steps to Block and Unblock TikTok from Network Router
- Game Blocker
- Social Media Blocker
Even if you don’t use it, you've likely heard of the popular micro blogging site Tumblr. It is vehemently popular, especially with young internet users.
But is Tumblr safe for kids? Is it bad?
It depends on a lot of variables. But first, let’s start with a question that brings everything into perspective:
Tumblr is a platform that lets users share anything effortlessly—posts, texts, photos, links, quotes, videos, and music from your browser, phone, desktop, email, everywhere a user happens to be.
It is a bridge between social networking sites and a blog. Sometimes, people call it microblog, as people usually share short snippets of text.
Currently, Tumblr hosts over 217 million separate blogs with 420 million users. It has been around since early 2007.
1. What is Tumblrmostly used for?
Tumblr primarily aims at encouraging users to create their content and connect with like-minded souls. And teens are embracing it. They use it to follow their interests as well as express themselves.
It is easy to set up accounts for collaborative posting, and it is also possible to allow other Tumblr users to post to your blog.
Typically, young people create a webpage that is a collection of all the things they like. They can post photos, text, music clips, and also re-blog from other Tumblr feeds they find interesting.
Most Tumblr users follow and keep up to date with certain topics they are interested in. It is alsoeasy to interact with Tumblr users and comment on their blogs and share some of their posts with the user's profiles.
All these make it appealing to teens who are toying with the concept of identity and trying to bond with like-minded souls.
2. Why should parents know Tumblr?
Tumblr appears to be the most creative form of social media, and people who want to express their artistic side readily embrace it. However, this wealth of content has its drawbacks.
- It is common to come across hardcore pornography on the site as Tumblr is a completely open and non-filtered platform. Tumblr blogs are not screened or moderated in any way by Tumblr HQ, which means that anybody using the site could come across explicit content.
Tumblr has been criticized for the overwhelming amount of pornography content. True, pornographic videos are not allowed to be posted directly to Tumblr, but links to pornography are allowed. Even if your kid is not looking for pornography, he may stumble on the innocently.
- What's more, all Tumblr blogs are public by default. Once you set a Tumblr profile is set up, a public blog automatically generates. It is difficult to create privacy settings that prevent information from being public. If you’re obsessed with privacy, Tumblr does not allow users to make their main blog private.
- And even more, Tumblr glamorizes unhealthy behavior. Even though it is common to almost all social media sites, people on Tumblr glamorize unhealthy behavior like self-harm and eating disorder in a positive light.
3. How to keep children safer on Tumblr?
However, there are plenty of ways to keep your kid safe on Tumblr. Here are 3 ways you can keep your kid safe on Tumblr:
- Familiarize yourself with the social app your teen is using and talk about the dangers of posting inappropriate content and engaging with unsafe people.
- Supervise you kid’s Tumblr usage
- Use social media monitoring app to track the use of their social networking and communication
And there are plenty of parental control tools you can use. But let’s introduce one of the world’s best—in terms of reliability, functionality, and legality.
FamiSafe is a parental control tool that has impressive control utility boasting just about every feature you might want. Of course, you want your children to take advantage of the internet. This app utilizes industry-leading technology to take the worry out of letting your kids loose online.
Get 3 free days trial from Google play and app store！
- Web Filtering
- Location Tracking & Geo-fencing
- App Blocker & App Activity Report
- Screen Time Limit & Schedule
- Explicit Content & Suspicious Photos Detection
Famisafe comes with plenty of features with multiple utilities. But we are going to focus on the main features that can help you enhance your child’s safety on Tumblr as well as any other social media platform.
App Blocker & Phone Activity Monitor
Keep pace with the digital trends of youngsters and keep an eye on looming threats online by checking activity reports. Having a good grip on kids’ daily app usage like mostly used apps, installed and uninstalled apps or timeline, then find and block dangerous app easily.
With the feature, you can monitor your kid’s Tumblr usage, assign specific hours he/she can spend on the app a day. Suppose you find the app inappropriate, you can permanently or temporarily block it.
Browser History and Web Filter
Check your kid's daily browsing history even when they delete it or use the incognito mode and set filters to regulate online content they access.
The app offers parents the superpowers that are nearly impossible to bypass, no matter how smart the kid is. It non-oppressively gives you all the web history and presents web filters that you can remotely help kids keep away from online gamble, porn, violence, or other potential risks by websites blocking or automatic web filter.
Screen Time & Smart Schedule
Help kids build focus during school or homework time by allocating specific screen time a day. Give them undistracted study time by limiting screen time and setting a smart schedule in specific places and time.
With the feature, you can control addiction to apps like Tumblr or even a gaming app.
Tumblr isn’t all bad, especially when your kid is artistic. It is a creative platform for many young people.
Posting photos, videos, and creating a short post can help teens find their sense of self.
Besides, the platform helps teens develop their interests. They learn more about other people’s hobbies and talents, which my spar new ideas. Even more, Tumblr teaches teens about the world. Your kid can read posts written by people all over the world. They get exposure to new ideas and interesting concepts.
Denying your kid access to the platform would be limiting them in life. However, by no means does that mean leaving your kid’s safety to the app. You have a responsibility to keep your child safe online. Get familiarized with the social media platform and learn the safety measures you can execute.