How to Recover Parental Control Passcode
Jul 15, 2021 Filed to: Parenting Tips Proven solutions
Over the last few years, Apple has certainly added many features for parental control, like the Restrictions on iOS 8 to 11 or the Screen Time on iOS 12 and later versions. Using these native features on the iPhone, parents can control the way their kids use their phones. To bypass a parental control setting, a pre-set password is needed. Usually, the passcode is only known to parents. Sometimes, parents keep unique passwords that they end up forgetting themselves. If you also forgot the parental control password, then don't worry – we are here to assist you. Read on and learn how to recover a parental control password on your iPhone.
The easiest way to reset the parental control password is by performing a factory reset on the device. As you know, a factory reset would restore your device to its default settings. The default settings will overwrite the Restrictions password and all the saved customized settings regarding parental controls. Therefore, when you would factory reset your device, it will be brand new. You would have to perform an initial setup once again.
While the process seems quite convenient, it has a major drawback. All the saved data, user content, and settings will automatically be deleted from your device. Therefore, it is recommended to take a backup of your phone first before you factory reset it. In this way, you can resolve the forgot parental control password issue without losing any important data from the phone.
Here are the steps to perform a factory reset on your iPhone.
By following the above-stated technique, users can recover the parental control password. Though, they would have to lose their data in the process. If you don't want to restore your iPhone and still recover the parental control password, then you need to walk the extra mile. There are a few iTunes backup extractors that can help you resolve this issue. While the process is a bit complicated, it will certainly meet your requirements. If you forgot the parental control password on your iPhone, then follow this stepwise approach.
1. First of all, you need to take a backup of your iPhone or iPad using iTunes. To do this, connect your iOS device to the system and launch an updated version of iTunes on it.
2. Select your device and go to its Summary tab. From here, you can backup your device on the local system. Select "This Computer" instead of taking a backup on the cloud. Also, when you are taking a backup of your iOS device, make sure that the restriction code is enabled on it.
3. Now, you need to install an iTunes backup extractor on your computer. We recommend iBackupBot as it is a user-friendly tool.
4. Launch iBackupBot on your system and load your iTunes backup. From its left panel, you need to navigate to System Files > HomeDomain > Library.
5. On the right, this will display all the files in the Library folder. Go to the "Preferences" folder and look for the file name "com.apple.springboard.list". You can also look for this filename on the search bar as well.
6. Select the file, right-click it, and open it with a text editor (like Notepad or WordPad).
7. Now, you need to carefully look for the parental control restriction key in this file. Search for the "SBParentalControlsMCContentRestrictions" in the file. Our aim is to find the following lines:
<key >SBParentalControlsMCContentRestrictions<key >
<key >countryCode<key >
<string >us<string >
Just after the </dict> tag, you need to make some adjustments to the file. We have to add a key and a string value to it. For instance, if you have to set 1234 as the restriction code, then the key will be as follows:
<key >SBParentalControlsPIN<key >
<string >1234<string >
9. Great! You are almost there. Once you have entered the code, please save the file, and close it.
10. Now, connect your iPhone back to your system and let the application detect it automatically. Select the device, right-click it, and restore the backup.
11. Select the backup file on which you have made the relevant changes.
Once the backup is restored, the restriction passcode will also be updated to the provided string. In this case, it is "1234".
If you forgot your Screen Time Passcode or your kid's device passcode, you could reset it by following the below steps. Please note that this method works only on iOS 13.4 and later devices.
As you can see, it takes a lot of effort to recover the parental control password on the iPhone. If you don't want to go through so much hassle, then try FamiSafe. Even if you have forgotten your FamiSafe password, you can reset it easily without losing any data.
FamiSafe is a professional parental control app that works on every leading iOS device. Easy to install and use, it comes with tons of advanced features. Parents can track the live location of their kids, set strict time limits for the device usage, and even monitor their kids' activity and control the device remotely.
Let's have a glance at the supported features of FamiSafe!
There are tons of other features that FamiSafe has to offer. You can download it on your iOS device for free to explore it further. After completing its 3-day free trial, you can get its premium subscription for as little as $9.99 a month. It is quite easy to install and would not require you to jailbreak your device as well.
Now that we have learned about how to recover iPhone parental control passwords for Restrictions or Screen Time, you don't need to panic anymore when you forgot the password. Moreover, FamiSafe is also a good alternative for parents looking for a more comprehensive parental control method.
Prevent Cyber-Crimes and Protect Your Kids Online?
Learn More about Youth Violence
Educational Robots for Kids
Free Online Parenting Classes
Best STEM Toys for Young Kids