Parental review: the most addicting games for iPhone & Android
the most addicting games
Gaming has been in cyberspace for over 50 years, and its evolution continues to grow drastically. From simple block games to graphical video games, gaming experience and designs have and continue to change for an extended period. One major characteristic of the millennial generation is a diverse culture, and gaming is one of these cultures. The gaming community has now incorporated adults aged between 22 and 38 prior to the traditional view of games as a child's play.
Games are now more accessible than ever thanks to myriad platforms and availability of devices and technologies. The invention of Smartphones brought new experience to game enthusiasts who never owned a video game system growing up. Today mobile games account for 33% of all app downloads, 74% of consumer spending, and 10% of all time spent in-app. By the end of 2019, the global gaming market is estimated to be worth $152 billion, with 45% of that, $68.5 billion, coming directly from mobile games.
These statistics imply that the mobile gaming industry is a considerable success hence the flurry of investments and acquisitions, where everyone wants a cut of the pie.
What makes mobile gaming a booming success?
- Smartphone technology – nowadays, Smartphones have become powerful enough to compete for players' attention in regards to the gaming experience. As a result, mobile titles now account for 51% of the global revenues in the gaming industry, followed by console games (25%) and PC (24%). Thus, mobile game development has become a genuinely lucrative niche.
- Games on games- when bigger gaming studios acquire the smaller ones, the overall market price for game rises due to increased game developments. The first substantial investments in mobile gaming came from companies that had a stake in the industry. Recently, Ubisoft acquired a 70% stake in Green Panda Games.
- Government intervention-with the rise in the gaming industry, the government has realized the potential the multibillion industries carries and is now making their investments move.
It is in doubt that gaming development has increased in the last few years. As the industry grows, the demand for the best games also increases. Developers of these games compete to make a game with thrilling experiences to keep their players hooked. Sometimes these players take gaming too far by playing more time than average. This habit can lead to what is called "gaming disorder."
Need for parents to know addictive gaming apps
World Health Organization recently recognized obsessive gaming activities as a disorder. This announcement was due to a rise in cases of mental health associated with playing games. Since this announcement, parents have raised a concern about what their children play. This is imminent since games are mostly made to entice children and may contain inappropriate content. The main concern was the in-app purchases and micro-transaction that developers embed in games. There have been records of children using up to $200 for in-app purchases in Fortnite Battle Royale!
3 most addictive games for Android
- Alto's Adventure – this is an adventure game developed by Noodlecake Studios Inc for android devices. This game allows the player to join Alto and his friends as they embark on an endless snowboarding odyssey.
- Clash of clans- supercell did not disappoint with this a strategic and multiplayer game for both Android and iOS. The game allows players to build your tower, play with other players, and declare war to destroy their camp. This game is quite addictive with its features.
- Badland- is an award-winning adventure game developed by Frogmind. The game is available to both Android users with iOS 8.0 or later. Badland is an incredibly fun and addictive game that will leave players craving for more.
3 most addictive games for iPhone
- Tilt to live- tilt your phone to unleash missiles, ice, and many more weapons in four different and exciting game modes. Post your high score on your social networks and check what your position on the global ladder is.
- Monument Valley – this is a unique and beautiful puzzle game. Guide a mother and her child as they embark on a journey through magical architecture, discovering illusionary pathways and delightful puzzles as you learn the secrets of the Sacred Geometry. Bejeweled Blitz- is a puzzle game offered by Electronic Arts. It is a game where a player should explode as many gems as he can in a minute. This game is available to be played on Facebook. Also, this is available for Android and iOS devices.
Signs of video game addiction
The American Psychiatric Association lists the following symptoms to look out for regarding video game addiction
- If a player cannot stop thinking about games or is always preoccupied with video games, then the chances are likely that he/she has game problems. This problem poses social threats because gaming has become a dominant activity in a player's daily life.
- Players with gaming disorder will feel bad or show rebellion whenever a game is withdrawn. Signs of resistance include anxiety, irritability, boredom, or sadness.
- Too much playing time is hard evidence of game addiction. Games are designed to be competitive, but over obsession to win challenges is a clear sign of addiction.
- Addiction to games may result in loss of interest in earlier hobbies — victims of gaming disorder neglect other activities they love and focus entirely on gaming or related businesses.
- The final stage of game problems is broken relationships, bad grades, and loss of a job.
- Using games as an alternative to escape these social problems is also a sign of gaming disorder.
Only a small percentage of people playing video games become addicted. According to experts, the estimated numbers of people who fall victim to gaming disorders fall between 1-9%. Male gamers are most affected as compared to female players.
How to block game app
In order to control video game addiction, specific measures need to be put in place. Blocking game apps is an effective way to manage your kid's addiction to the game. Some of the ways to prevent these games are:
- You can block games on Android through the play store app setting menu. Visit the app store, click on the hamburger menu, turn on the parental control, and set a pin. Afterward, you will be prompted to enter the required age group. Set your desired age limit; tap "ok" and save your settings. The game apps outside the selected age limit on your kid's phone will be automatically blocked.
- If your child is using an iPhone, click on the setting button, tap General, and scroll down to restriction. Enable restriction by entering a passcode, and a list of items will appear. Select apps and set your kid's age restrictions.
- You can also use other applications like FamiSafe to help block game content.
FamiSafe is a third party application that gives parents complete remote control over their kids' online activities and phone usage. The app is equipped with a wide range of features such as
- App block and usage-this amazing features let parents block harmful game apps. With app block, parents do not have to worry about their kids wandering to forbidden game apps.
- Activity report –parents, can know daily app activity patterns since this feature sends automatic alerts to them. This feature will help parents to control their kid's obsessive usage of gaming apps.
- Screen time and smart schedule- this function enables parents to set limits on their kid's screen time and make sure their phone cannot be used during study or sleep time.
- Browser history and web filter features will keep your kid from potential online threats by blocking any forbidden or inappropriate gaming websites. Parents can also see their kid's browser history and make sure they have not been too addictive game apps.
Playing games is an enjoyable hobby considering a large number of gamers currently. One cannot predict any particular game that leads to addiction. Employing good gaming habits will reduce the risks associated with obsessive gaming activities. For parents, FamiSafe will help in blocking suspected gaming applications.