How to Block Text Messages on Android and iPhone
block text messages
We’re living in an era of technology and never before in human history have we had the ability to connect with people around the world so effortlessly. Of course, this creates some incredible opportunities for staying contact with the people we love and having a tonne of information at our fingertips, but there are downsides.
As parents, we’ll already know that our children have access to technology at a far younger age than we did, but what happens when people are contacting our children’s devices when we don’t want them to?
Whether it’s spam or your child has accidentally signed up to service using their number and are now receiving text messages from strangers or businesses, knowing how to block these text messages is an important process that all parents should be aware of.
Today, we’re going to teach you everything you need to know on how to do this, as well as informing you on several applications that can help you manage and monitor your child’s device.
If your child is the owner of an iOS device, whether that’s an iPhone or even an iPad, blocking a text message or contact has never been easier. Here’s how.
Block a Contact
If you child his receiving text messages from a contact that is saved on their device, you can easily block the contact from calling or sending text messages completely.
- Access the Phone app from the main menu of the device
- Click the Contacts option and find the contact you wish to block
- At the bottom of the contact options, tap the Block this Contact option
- Confirm that you wish to block the contact
Block an Unknown Contact
In other cases, your child may be receiving text messages and phone calls from a number that isn’t saved on the device. Blocking these numbers is just as easy as before.
- From the main menu, open the Messages app where the text messages are received
- Open the text message from the number you wish to block
- Tap the Details option in the top right-hand side
- At the bottom of the menu, tap the Block this Caller option
- Confirm that you wish to block this contact
If your child is using an Android device, the process is slightly different to if you’re blocking from an iPhone, but it’s still just as simple.
Blocking a Saved Contact
If your child is receiving text messages or phone calls from a number saved on their device, here’s how to block them.
- Open the Settings menu from the main menu of your device
- Tap the Call Rejection, Call Blocking or Call Settings option, depending on what device you have
- Tap the Block List option
- Find the contact you wish to block and confirm the action you wish to take
Block Unknown Contact on Android
If your child is receiving text messages and phone calls from an unknown number that isn’t saved on your child’s device, here’s how you can block it.
- Open the Message, Contact or SMS application that the device uses for messaging
- Locate the text message you wish to block and hold down the message
- Tick the box of the message and tap the Block icon on the top right-hand side
- Confirm that you wish to take this action
While these methods for blocking contacts are effective, it does require you to have access to your child’s device and means that you’ll need to be aware of the fact that your child is receiving these communications in the first place.
However, since this isn’t always possible, the sure-fire way to make sure that this doesn’t become a problem is by investing in a parental control app that can not only block contacts and text messages, but also provides a full range of other monitoring features that can help you keep your child’s well-being a priority at all times, even without physical access to the device.
Here are the top five apps that are available today.
#1 - FamiSafe
Family Time is a complete mobile monitoring application that’s easy to install and provides full control over your child’s mobile device. Easily one of the most affordable solutions out there, this is a great choice for parents looking for an easy monitoring service.
- Set up custom time limits for screen usage and application access
- Remotely monitor all activities on your kid's cell phone
- Built-in panic button for your child to press if in danger
- Real-time GPS location tracking
Price - 3-days free trial
Supported OS - iOS / Android
#2 - Qustodio
If you’re looking for a way to monitor multiple devices in your family, Qusotdio is an app that offers a competitive family plan while providing you with a full range of features for a complete monitoring experience. This helps you effortlessly track your child’s device usage and content access.
- Easy to use interface suitable for all parents
- See all activity that takes place on the device, including internet usage and app access
- Remotely view all internet data, such as websites accessed and downloaded files
- Monitor and restrict all contacts, SMS messages and social media messages
Price - Prices start a $54.95 per year
Supported OS - Android / iOS
#3 - ESET Parental Control App
If you’re in need of a parental control app that has been specially designed to work on computers and mobile devices, ESET Parental Control App provides the answer. With all the features you need to monitor every aspect of the device, you can keep your child’s well-being prioritized at all times.
- Send remote messages to the device when you need to
- Real-time GPS location tracking
- Block and unblock access to applications as you need to
- Complete internet monitoring suite
- Complete control over SMS, instant messages, phone calls and allowed contacts
Price - Prices start at ￡19.99 a year
Supported OS - Android / iOS / Windows / Mac / Linux
#4 - Norton Family Premier
Norton has been an internet monitoring and internet leader for decades and their Family Premier package to help you monitor and control your child’s device usage is no exception when it comes to quality and functionality.
- Monitor and track all internet activity
- View screen time statistics and block device access at any time
- See all social media activity
- See all communications that take place through the device (calls, SMS, and instant messages)
- Monthly, weekly and daily reports on device usage
Price - Prices start at $49.99 per year
Supported OS - Android / iOS
#5 - Clean Inbox - SMS Blocker
If you’re looking for an Android app that can give you the ability to block text messages, contacts and help to manage the communications your receive on your device, this could be everything you’ve been searching for.
- Block all calls, SMS messages, instant messages, and contacts
- Award-winning spam block technology
- No limit on how many numbers and contacts you can block
- Free from advertisements
Price - Free
Supported OS - Android
Using FamiSafe - The Best Parental Control Monitoring Service
While all the parental control apps listed above are powerful solutions that get the job done, none of these applications come close to the power and flexibility you’ll have by using FamiSafe; easily the best parental control monitoring service on the market.
FamiSafe is incredibly easy to use, quick to install, compatible with iOS and Android devices and even comes with a free trial period to get you started, giving you the best opportunities to keep your child’s well-being safe at all times.
Some of the features you can find include the ability to monitor, track and block apps that are installed on the device, so you can see exactly what your kids are doing through the device.
You’ll also have full access to complete location services where can see your child’s real-time GPS location and set up geo-fences where you’ll receive a notification if your child leaves the designated area. You can also set up your own custom schedules where you can block device access, perfect for homework, school or bedtime.
With the additional abilities to block and unblock individual apps as you please and monitor all internet activity, including the web pages visited, internet history and all files downloaded, it’s safe to say this is the only solution you’re ever going to need.
When it comes to blocking text messages on your child’s device, it’s safe to say there have never been more opportunities to do so effectively. While the built-in services are great, using a parental control app like FamiSafe is easily the most effective solution, so what are you waiting for? Sign up and start your free trial period today!
- Parental Controls
- 1.1 Baby Monitor
- 1.2 Monitor Child's iPhone
- 1.3 Check Private Browsing History on Android
- 1.4 Check Your Child's Online Web Browser History
- 1.5 Free Parental Control Apps for Android
- 1.6 Best Parental Control Apps
- 1.7 Set Parental Control on YouTube
- 1.8 Best iOS Parental Control Apps
- 1.9 iPhone Spyware Detection and Removal
- 1.10 Parental Control Apps for Cell Phone Monitoring
- 1.11 Parental Control Routers
- 1.12 Snapchat Parental Control
- Mobile Tracker
- 2.1 Android GPS Tracking Apps
- 2.2 Child GPS Tracking Devices
- 2.3 GPS Tracking Device for Kids
- 2.4 Find Someone's Location on Facebook
- 2.5 See someone’s Location on iPhone
- 2.6 How to Track a Phone Number
- 2.7 Cell Phone Tracker by Number
- 2.8 Best GPS Phone Tracker
- 2.9 Find Real Time Location of a Mobile Phone
- 2.10 Find Your Lost Android Phone
- 2.11 Share Location Between iPhone and Android
- 2.12 Track a Cell Phone Location for Free
- 2.13 Track A Person's Location
- 2.14 How to Track Your Kid's iPhone
- 2.15 If Your Phone is Being Monitored?
- 2.16 How Do I Stop Someone Tracking My iPhone?
- 2.17 Which Websites Are Visited?
- Block Apps & Sites
- 3.1 Best Ad Blocker Apps
- 3.2 Porn Blocker App to Block Porn
- 3.3 Block Porn on Android
- 3.4 Block a Phone Number on iPhone
- 3.5 Block Porn on iPhone
- 3.6 How to Block Porn Sites
- 3.7 Block Websites on Android Phone
- 3.8 Block Text Messages on Android and iPhone
- 3.9 Block Websites on Android Chrome
- 3.10 Porn Blocking Apps for Parents
- 3.11 Free website blocker apps and chrome extension